The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing how this is a win for Canadian online consumers. But I really don't get what has really changed.

So in the past, you began to get taxed at $20, now it's $40.

Before you'd pay duties on anything over $20, now it's $150

BUUUUT:

1) you must import using anything but Canadapost. So that means no USPS on the other side of the border, which also means entering the world of Purolator, Fedex and the wonderful UPS brokerage fees, right?

2) Duties are only applicable if there is not a trade agreement in place where they may be waived. So, in the past under NAFTA, for example, buying a guitar made in the US or Mexico was not subject to duties (taxes of course), but now what? I hope that's still the case. And with all the new agreements (Pacific + Europe) Canada is signing onto, I imagine that duties will become far less of a factor going forward for many products from all over the world.

So the way I see it, when one ignores the duty part, we now have raised when we get start to get taxed from $20 to a measly $40.

Am I seeing this right?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
That exclusion for Canada Post shipments is ridiculous. Not that it amounts to much saving anyways. I'll just keep using Canada Post as the FedEx/UPS fees are still going to be waaaaaay higher.

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
I keep hearing how this is a win for Canadian online consumers. But I really don't get what has really changed.

BUUUUT:

1) you must import using anything but Canadapost. So that means no USPS on the other side of the border, which also means entering the world of Purolator, Fedex and the wonderful UPS brokerage fees, right?

2) Duties are only applicable if there is not a trade agreement in place where they may be waived. So, in the past under NAFTA, for example, buying a guitar made in the US or Mexico was not subject to duties (taxes of course), but now what? I hope that's still the case. And with all the new agreements (Pacific + Europe) Canada is signing onto, I imagine that duties will become far less of a factor going forward for many products from all over the world.

So the way I see it, when one ignores the duty part, we now have raised when we get start to get taxed from $20 to a measly $40.

Am I seeing this right?
When you take a trip across the border, you can bring back $150.00 worth of whatever, duty free. First $40.00 is also tax free. Before, you had to be gone over 24 hours to get any kind of a break.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you take a trip across the border, you can bring back $150.00 worth of whatever, duty free. First $40.00 is also tax free. Before, you had to be gone over 24 hours to get any kind of a break.
But that's only if it's something that would be subjected to duty in the first place. Under NAFTA if you bought $X worth of goods made in the US or Mexico it was always duty free. With all these new trade agreements (US.MEX, Pacific, Europe) duty may not be as relevant going forward.

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
But that's only if it's something that would be subjected to duty in the first place. Under NAFTA if you bought $X worth of goods made in the US or Mexico it was always duty free. With all these new trade agreements (US.MEX, Pacific, Europe) duty may not be as relevant going forward.
It wasn't if it didn't fall within the trade agreement. I never knew if I'd be charged duty or not. I've never had great experiences with CBSA. I've been charged for stuff going back to the US for repair / return and was never able to get them to issue a refund.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Best to buy from China. No duty or tax. Don't know how they get away with it but I don't mind waiting a little longer to get it from China. A lot of the stuff we buy online is made in China anyway. Might as well go to the source and save the tax.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts

BUUUUT:

Am I seeing this right?
I read it the other way around. Maybe I got it wrong. ($40.00 of free duties and $150.00 of free HST) ??

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
So thinking of buying off E bay. Indonesian guitar. Shipping is 130 cdn. from Chicago to Hamilton. Guitar is about $450 cdn. What hidden duties and shipping charges /tax am I going to get trumped with ?

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
Depends on how it is shipped. Look up FedEx Brokerage fees, look up Ups brokerage fees. Don't forget shipping is taxed as well so you are paying fees on 580 cdn. Canada Post charges 8 dollars plus the tax... DHL charges 15 something plus the taxes....

Ups is 48 and change plus 2.7 percent plus tax and duty if applicable. FedEx is about the same

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
So thinking of buying off E bay. Indonesian guitar. Shipping is 130 cdn. from Chicago to Hamilton. Guitar is about $450 cdn. What hidden duties and shipping charges /tax am I going to get trumped with ?
Have it shipped to the UPS depot in N.. Falls, NY at Packard Road. Shipping will be a lot cheaper. Arrive with an empty tank of gas and save some bucks on fuel to pay for the trip from Hamilton. I can give you more info if you want.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Shipping is us postal service. Any kind of estimate on the boarder thumping .
Likely none. I have only been charged HST and brokerage once in 10 years.

·
Administrator
17,307 Posts
Likely none. I have only been charged HST and brokerage once in 10 years.
But then you may have only purchased one guitar in 10 years ........................

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I've been charged for stuff going back to the US for repair / return and was never able to get them to issue a refund.
you have to go down to customs (alta vista area ) , have them tag it as warranty work and fill out the paper work ... then ship , when it gets returned , the us company has to include the paperwork for the return trip to show it originated in canada and was done under warranty ....

skip the step and you get charged for the "new" equipment.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
But then you may have only purchased one guitar in 10 years ........................
My wife may wish that was so.:)

Truth be told, only a few guitars came by post. Most I picked up across the border when I lived in St. Catharines. However, many other items did come by mail and the guy just dropped them off at our door.

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
I just got 7 pedals and some pickups from Japan. Declared Value 22000 Yen or 265ish CDN.... no taxes or duties... CBSA person was in a good mood a few days ago lol

If your package is being shipped USPS and assuming the CBSA person is in the mood to ding you... 8 dollars plus the ding....

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I also order items from Thailand on a regular basis and have ordered items from China and Hong Kong with never an extra charge. A couple of those shipments were music related.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts