The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still looking for an acoustic, and came across a nice cedar Simon & Patrick mini jumbo cutaway with the electronics. I think they go for around $700+... Found a used one $180 obo.

Looks good, 1.5h drive except around the bridge the finish is missing and ad says needs bridge adjustment. He said finish came off, I'm worried it came off when prying the bridge off or something.

How likely is it that the finish just came off? And say I need to glue/clamp down the bridge, is it worth it for the price? Solid cedar top which is what I was after... What's the verdict on these guitars? From what I've heard they're pretty good with tusq nuts/saddles and good sound.

I'll also say I'm not against pulling the bridge and refinishing the top completely... If the guitars are good.

Just trying to see if worth driving 3h total to check it out.

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Any pics? ...especially close ups of the bridge area?

Personally, I wouldn't drive 3 hours without having first seen a lot of pics.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best I can do so far is what's online, cropped and zoomed in. Personally, doesn't look like normal damages from use. Emailed for more info about whether or not its (bridge) been removed, and what's meant by bridge needs adjustment.

That said... again, MSRP price vs used... decent gap if worth the effort to fix (?)

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Maybe the bridge lifted and someone screwed it up when they glued it back down so now the intonation is out and the bridge needs to be reset/adjusted.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Best I can do so far is what's online, cropped and zoomed in. Personally, doesn't look like normal damages from use. Emailed for more info about whether or not its (bridge) been removed, and what's meant by bridge needs adjustment.

That said... again, MSRP price vs used... decent gap if worth the effort to fix (?)

Dude unless it’s super cheap pass.

It looks like it’s had a diy repair that was unsuccessful.
Offer him $30.
You can get an unmolested one for around $300

Nathan

·
Registered
485 Posts
My 12 string is an S&P solid cedar top, and I love it!! Admittedly, the bridge has lifted a bit over the last 18yrs or so, but "my guy" says there's nothing to worry about, and he's sured it up just to be safe.

The one you've found on the other hand.... run away!!! Unless you can get it for (basically) nothing, $180 isn't even worth it for the electronics! I personally would never attempt to secure an acoustic bridge, but if you're comfortable with it... driving three hours to find out is a little ambitious too.

Keep looking.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He said bridge is lifting up, but not removed.

Drive is ok if a good deal... I drove 5h each way for an electric once, was dirt cheap because middle of nowhere. Price of guitar and gas was still cheaper than buying local. Had a nice drive on a day I'd otherwise have sat on my butt doing nothing. :)

So, not worth it to squirt some glue in and clamp it down?

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Not too uncommon for these to go for $225-$275 either. They are decent++ guitars but there are so many of them and I think people get tired of trying to sell them and the asking prices plummet eventually. Or maybe there's enough around that several people have taken the hit by the time one sees them up for sale.

I've had to reset the neck, repair cracks with internal cleats, and resolve fingerboard hump on a few of these. But, aside from the resets (super easy repair on an S&P), those other things can usually be chalked up to owner neglect. I'm a fan of them, but I wouldn't touch that one, that is unless you're shooting to gain some experience in terms of refinishing and locating a bridge (don't forget the glued bridge plate, inside, with its existing pin holes...), repairing loose braces, possibly a neck reset, possibly a new saddle etc. But I think the donor here, drive included, wouldn't be worth the price of admission for me. Again, you can find nice ones for not too much more.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a pass then... maybe keep an eye on it, and if not sold in a few weeks offer $100 and leave it at that. :D

I'd really like to get the Art & Lutherie Concert, no electronics, in bourbon... I see a lot of these for sale, but not in that finish. Too new I think to have used ones for sale often. Though downside, not a cedar top.

Well, I'll keep the Kijiji alerts on then... was just a bit hopeful on getting a good deal on a relatively higher priced acoustic ($700 msrp to me is higher priced since I've been looking at the $350 and under range). :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad I held off... just found a nice looking Ibanez AVC9

Acoustics Artwood Vintage Thermo Aged™ - AVC9 | Ibanez guitars

Concert Sized, Mahoghany, not glossy... no abalone inlays... but I can live with that (probably). I have a 'thing' for the abalone. :)

Any feedback on these? Reviews seem good, only 30min drive which is rare for me. Any idea of their used value without a case?

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
If the rest of the guitar is in very good condition, fixing the bridge is not a difficult job and not that expensive. $180.00 is a good price depending on the condition of the guitar but first, I would look around. A bit more can get you a really nice used guitar.

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
Sounds like a pass then... maybe keep an eye on it, and if not sold in a few weeks offer $100 and leave it at that. :D

I'd really like to get the Art & Lutherie Concert, no electronics, in bourbon... I see a lot of these for sale, but not in that finish. Too new I think to have used ones for sale often. Though downside, not a cedar top.

Well, I'll keep the Kijiji alerts on then... was just a bit hopeful on getting a good deal on a relatively higher priced acoustic ($700 msrp to me is higher priced since I've been looking at the $350 and under range). :D
Msrp is meh, whats the street cost?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
See post #13

Found a nice Ibanez, less than a year old. Stores in Canada seem to have the same MSRP as their sale price, about $585. Selling for $250. Should be getting it this week. Was about to go Monday but he was called into work, then by fluke injured and in hospital a few days. Hopefully nothing too serious. Should be Fri/Sat that I go. Also the upside of being 30min away... which is rare. Usually when looking at stuff on Kijiji, it's always hours away. Also make it hard to sell stuff being a bit remote. Got an amazing shaped Bandit 112 (Silverstripe) for sale... not a peep, except a few trade offers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Offer $100 and see what happens. Think of it as a project. If it is just the bridge that lifted and got repaired poorly, it can be re-repaired. Either tackle it yourself (do your research and don't be afraid as you only have $100 on the line) or take it to a shop and have them do it. If you do it yourself and you do the repair right, you could end up with a guitar that you love the sound of for $100 and some effort, it might just have some cosmetic issues with the finish. That' up to you if you can live with it or not. If you like the sound then the cosmetics are easy to live with for the $600+ savings. Other option is buy it for $100, fix it, you don't like it and then sell it again for $300-$400 and be upfront about the repair. Someone will be happy to save the money on a repaired guitar with an ugly spot as long as it plays right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts