The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
I look for playability and feel. I think there has been a trend towards bling, flash and quilts in the past 10 years or so, but I dont really care what a guitar looks like as long as it plays great............

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I agree with the playability and feel. looks are not important but tone is...
I like to check out the guitars acoustic sound when it is unplugged. If it has a nice ring to it unplugged it will usually have nice tone plugged in.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
i look for a neck that i find comfortable, good placing of volume/tone knobs, body has to be comfortable sitting down which means it'll be comfortable standing up, if a guitar sounds good acoustically then it will most likely sound stellar when plugged in. i also see how it's set up, who made the pickups, how heavy it is. if it looks ok or better, that's fine with me.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I like to check out the guitars acoustic sound when it is unplugged. If it has a nice ring to it unplugged it will usually have nice tone plugged in.
Ditto here. If a guitar can't feel and sound amazing without jacking it in, I'm not interested... it's got to have real presence that way... and be easy to play, of course. I hate fighting a neck. That doesn't mean it has to be a fast and slim shredder's dream - far from it. But the action has to be comfortable and nimble.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
Tone and playability. Usually tone first because even though I can make changes to affect tone, I prefer it at the outset. Playability second because I can easily customize action, strings, and set-up to my preferences if it's not great to start with.

Appearance is not a real issue, though I have conservative taste in guitars, generally. That said, often I won't even pick a guitar off the rack if it looks dumb to me.

Build and component quality are huge factors too. Though I regularly replace parts, I prefer to start with decent hardware and construction.

Fwiw.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
because some guitars are more suited to various types of music. for exampel: strats sound pretty good! however, if i wanted to play punk, i would be looking SG's, Les paul's and superstrats. they have tonal properties which are better suited (depending on your tastes!) to punk songs.

There's some guitars that are jack-of-all-trades master of none sort of deal, and some that excel at say country or blues or jazz, and some that are rock machines, etc.

so it helps to know what you like to play :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Playbility(comfort sitting down , control placement , upper fret acces , balanced weight ) , quality of construction / stability , tone , easy adjustment/repair.

And am I the only one to look at the price too ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
because some guitars are more suited to various types of music. for exampel: strats sound pretty good! however, if i wanted to play punk, i would be looking SG's, Les paul's and superstrats. they have tonal properties which are better suited (depending on your tastes!) to punk songs.

There's some guitars that are jack-of-all-trades master of none sort of deal, and some that excel at say country or blues or jazz, and some that are rock machines, etc.

so it helps to know what you like to play :)
so what has happened to "MY" sound. where your style and sound is regognized by everybody?
REMEMBER THERE IS ONLY ONE YOU--why try to sound like everybody else?

good luck
oldest fart
jimmy peters

ps- i am trying to learn something here. teach me....

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
so what has happened to "MY" sound. where your style and sound is regognized by everybody?
REMEMBER THERE IS ONLY ONE YOU--why try to sound like everybody else?
I see these questions often on this and other forums. Speaking for me, I am now at the point where I'm not looking for "my sound". I play in a cover band, so what I am looking for are a few "good" sounds, which can be used for the variety of songs we play ie a nice strat single coil clean, a crunchy AC/DC or ZZ Top type rhythm sound, a searing Gilmour type lead sound etc. I have passed the point in my life where I am trying to find my sound in an originals type band. Although, I know a lot of people here are still in that mode and its a valuable thing to try and do.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I get most of those sounds from a PRS CE22 which has coil taps for single coil type tones. Its more of "jack of all trades" type of guitar in that it can get multiple sounds, but there are better guitars for each of the individual tones.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Look for structure first (If i'm buying used). Then playability/Tone. I dont really have a preference to how thick or thin the neck is myself since I have quite big hands. Between my SG and ML I prefer my ML's neck for being alot thinner but it is alot wider then my SG's neck.

Then next I look for body type.

Rock, Punk, Blues: I would go for a LP, Strat or 335

Hard Rock: SG, ML or Jackson Dinky

Metal: ML again, Flying V or something Ibanez or Jackson.

:rockon2::smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
That's one thing I always tell people...
Every guitar I've paid for, I've done that before even plugging it in. I've put guitars back without plugging them in when they've failed this test.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Playability and feel, for sure. Some guitars just feel more comfortable in my hands - I like fairly chunky necks, nevermind that I have pretty small hands. Tone - can be somewhat remedied by swapping out pickups to something I prefer but a dead sounding piece of wood will still be a dead sounding piece of wood. Balance - I dislike guitars that take a neck dive when I let go... having to support the neck all the time makes it kind of tiring to play.

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
I'm not fussy about necks--except that I don't like v-necks because of how I use my thumb, and there are some guitars that have what is basically a 2x4 with slightly rounded off edges.

Other than that I like thin necks--like a Mustang--and chunky ones like a Les Paul.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Some necks just feel really really awkward for me... I don't think I've ever played a guitar with neck that had a really flat radius that I was comfortable with. A function of having small hands? Or maybe it's just that "comfort zone" and it would've just taken time to get used to.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see these questions often on this and other forums. Speaking for me, I am now at the point where I'm not looking for "my sound". I play in a cover band, so what I am looking for are a few "good" sounds, which can be used for the variety of songs we play ie a nice strat single coil clean, a crunchy AC/DC or ZZ Top type rhythm sound, a searing Gilmour type lead sound etc. I have passed the point in my life where I am trying to find my sound in an originals type band. Although, I know a lot of people here are still in that mode and its a valuable thing to try and do.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I get most of those sounds from a PRS CE22 which has coil taps for single coil type tones. Its more of "jack of all trades" type of guitar in that it can get multiple sounds, but there are better guitars for each of the individual tones.
i agree with you although i dont think james burton would.

·
Registered
27 Posts
echo?

the way it feels, then the way it sounds unplugged, then construction.
i don't care so much about the plugged in sound, that can be changed easy enough. Same with electronics - but plug it in because if the electronics are shoddy, the bargaining begins.

I have always bought used gear. Cheaper with a little character. You must be patient buying this way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts