The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a new tv 37-42" and dont really know much about LCD or plasma tvs. What should I look for in a tv and where should I buy? Looking to spend less than 2K after tax.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
+1 on the plasma. You should be able to afford one in your range and make sure you have a good HD source.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
+2 plasma. I bought one in the last six months and based on my research I went with panasonic. I got the 50" but a friend of mine bought the 42" for around $1750 and it's fantastic.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I hate LCD technology. Too many flaws when it comes to big screens. Clouding, banding, stuck pixels.

I'd look at plasma if you can.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010086848&catid=

Actually I don't recomend this TV anymore. It's 1024x768 native resolution.

At your price point if you want something that does true 720p or 768p or 1080p you are going to have to spend more money to get a plasma, $3000 tax in. You might be stuck with LCD.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
I think triple chip DLP will render LCD and plasma obsolete when it can ever come down in price. Those set ups are awesome..........

·
Registered
68 Posts
Panasonic now has a 47" 1080p plasma for 1599..

if you plan on any gaming, or putting the tv in a bright (daylight) room,, forget it,, plasmas are just about useless at that.. you need lcd.

plasmas still suffer from ghosting (burn in), so even watching channels like TSN or Sportsnet, you get burn in on the ticker and channel badges..

also,, 1080p, although good, is really a future use feature, unless you are using blu-ray or HD DVD now. The very highest available is off air 1080i, which is really only abc I believe..

cable cannot deliver 1080i,, and neither satellite service delivers 1080i,, (hightest is 768i,, but standard is only 480i)..

LCD technology is changing almost daily,, with viewing angles and contrast ratios equal to that of plasmas..

Sharp is coming out with a fricken awesome set in a couple months.. watch for it,, and Sharp only retails LCD.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Panasonic now has a 47" 1080p plasma for 1599..

if you plan on any gaming, or putting the tv in a bright (daylight) room,, forget it,, plasmas are just about useless at that.. you need lcd.

plasmas still suffer from ghosting (burn in), so even watching channels like TSN or Sportsnet, you get burn in on the ticker and channel badges..

also,, 1080p, although good, is really a future use feature, unless you are using blu-ray or HD DVD now. The very highest available is off air 1080i, which is really only abc I believe..

cable cannot deliver 1080i,, and neither satellite service delivers 1080i,, (hightest is 768i,, but standard is only 480i)..

LCD technology is changing almost daily,, with viewing angles and contrast ratios equal to that of plasmas..

Sharp is coming out with a fricken awesome set in a couple months.. watch for it,, and Sharp only retails LCD.
Panasonic doesn't make a 47" plasma. They make a 42" 1080p and it's $2700.

Absolutely nothing wrong with my Plasma in a bright room. Mine is ISF calibrated. Thankfully I don't have any windows behind me, or glare would be an issue.

Todays Plasmas are near impossible to burn in. You'd have to watch a ticker for 48 hours straight. I game lots on mine and barely get IR never mind burn in.

LCD technology better be changing daily because it's crap right now. I've gone through 2 XBR Sonys, both returned because of clouding. I went through 4 Sharp D92Us because of stuck pixels, clouding and banding. I wouldn't recommend Sharp on my worst enemy.

In fact here is banding:
Banding

Here's clouding and stuck pixels:
Clouding & Stuck Pixels

·
Registered
68 Posts
you're right, I got the size mixed up...
they make a 42" 1080p that is retailing at major box stores (and smaller mom and pop stores with price protection, like where I work) for 1599.00

Model is TH42PX75

;)

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think no matter which you chose you might have problems. My brother just went through hell with his Samsung plasma. 2 TV's and 5 trips to the repair shop he finally returned it and got a LCD. The final straw was when the idiot repair shop left the tv on for 12 hours in 4:3 and got bad burn in on the sides. A lot of his problems were with the repair shop but when he talked to Samsung they didn't seem surprised to all the trouble he was having, just at how soon he was having the problems.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
My 50" Panasonic has 1080i and looks amazing with HD Cable and equally amazing with a standard dvd running through an upscaling Denon DVD player.

I didn't buy into the whole 1080p thing. I'm sure it's great but can the human eye really differentiate between 720p/1080i and 1080p. Mine certainly can't. I always buy last years technology for half the price and so far it has suited me just fine.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
My 50" Panasonic has 1080i and looks amazing with HD Cable and equally amazing with a standard dvd running through an upscaling Denon DVD player.

I didn't buy into the whole 1080p thing. I'm sure it's great but can the human eye really differentiate between 720p/1080i and 1080p. Mine certainly can't. I always buy last years technology for half the price and so far it has suited me just fine.
Yours is native 768p isn't it? As in 1366x768 pixels. If you can send it a native resolution do it. No need to send it an interlaced signal and have the TV deinterlace it and throw away pixels because your TV is only 1366x768 instead of 1920x1080. You just end up introducing artifacts and motion blur.

As for 1080p:
1) Depends on how far you sit from your TV. At 14 feet you won't tell the difference between 768p and 1080p. I sit between 6 - 12 feet away and I can tell. It also depends on the size of your TV. The large the more resolution you want. ie) for a 42" 1080p you'd have to be 6 feet away or less to see the difference. 50" most say 9 ft or less. 58" it goes up again. And some peoples eyes are better then others.

2) 1080p is only good if you have a 1080p source. HD-DVD or Blue Ray are the only true sources out there right now. Maybe the odd HD handy cam as well. 1080i looks good on a 1080p TV as well but you do get some motion blur because it only refreshes every second line each cycle.

3) 1080p comes in handy if you use your TV as a computer monitor. The more resolution the better.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Well I have a differing opinion of LCD vs Plasma. I would go LCD hands down. I have worked extensively with Plasmas for 5 years now and you couldn't give me one. Well maybe give me one, but not for much more than the cost of a cup of coffee. :wink: okay a Starbucks cup of coffee.:D
I just bought (3 months ago) a Sony 42" BraviaXP LCD TV. True 1080p My requirements are that I use it (occasionally) for computer work. Drawing in CAD and fine photographic work. But mostly for pleasure. And yes my eye can tell the difference in true HD and yours can too. I wouldn't recommend this TV for everyone, but the picture in HD is truely unbelievable. Not to mention the functions and input possibilties. I like to tweak and adjust to the nth degree and the Sony is the only TV that has the degree of controls to allow that. You also have to look at response time and processor speed. It is the fastest in it's class (important for you gamers).
As for price, I shopped around like the madman I can be and SEARS was the runaway winner. Almost $1000 less than the Sony Store. It ended up being not much over 2K with tax and free HD TV for 6 months from Rogers. I never expected to be able to get this particular TV at that price. I was looking at other 1080p TVs that were a little less. In the 1800 range but when this one could be got for 2k, there was no contest.
I know that is slightly more than your budget, but it's a great TV.
I know this kind of technology is still in it's infancy and next year there will be bigger, better, faster, cheaper. But if now is the time to jump in, go LCD and Sony. IMHO

Cheers
Pete

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
The human eye reacts more to true color than resolution. When Sony brought the 4K resolution big boy LCD to the CES, and Texas instruments brought a 3 chip DLP with only 2K resoltion, the attendants were blown away by the 2K machine because it had natural colour. The TI guys understood that the eye picks up things differently and that implementation and set up of technology is more important than pure specs................

1 - 15 of 15 Posts