The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember, Buy Nothing Day is today and tomorrow (Nov. 24 & 25). These dates coincide with the two days after the U.S. Thanksgiving Day, and are usually insane shopping days.

Here's a link to the organizers:
http://www.adbusters.org

Chris
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Reeks of spam to me.... Like those 'campaigns' to not buy gas on a certain day that have ZERO impact on anything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Yeah , capitalism sucks... I'd rather live in korea or good old ussr . I'd rather have everyone poor than just me because I can't get my ass off my chair to work or study .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,315 Posts
Coustfan'01 said:
Yeah , capitalism sucks... I'd rather live in korea or good old ussr . I'd rather have everyone poor than just me because I can't get my ass off my chair to work or study .
Well, the USSR is capitalist now so . . .

Your idea that poverty stems from laziness is not only conceptually problematic, it lacks empirical support: 20% of the Canadian population falls within the category of the working poor. Many poor people actually work more than one job! Most unemployed people want to work but cannot find adequate employment.

The middle class is eroding. In fact, social mobility in most Capitalist societies in downward since the middle class is blurring with the working class. Many of these problems stem from the death of the manufacturing in North America (courtesy of the expansion of capitalism). In fact, the gap between rich and poor keeps growing despite continual overall increases in the world's economic production and wealth. The idea that economic development ends poverty and inequality is simply a myth.

I could go on and on but it might be easier to just come to the University of Alberta and take my course. Internet boards really are not the place to discuss extremely complex issues (particularly ones that challenge "common sense") especially since anecdotal 'evidence' is often seen as a foil to scientific research.


TG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, well put, TG!

What is ironic here is that I posted this thread because I didn't have enough threads started in order to post in the 'gear for sale' forum here!

BND (Buy Nothing Day) and buy no gas day are quite different, but with a similar goal.

You need gas; whether you buy it tomorrow or 2 days from now, it doesn't matter. What would improve is if you drive your car less, so that your requirement for gas is less.

With BND, the idea is to break habits, i.e. those frivolous purchases, large or small, you might make every day.

Chris
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,968 Posts
Those who bitch about capitalism wouldnt survive in a socialist society. Most of them have only been there as tourists in the tourist sections, and they dont see what poor really is. People dont realize how lucky they are to live in a capitalist society, but then they have the right to bitch about it unlike in other countries...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Accept2 said:
Those who bitch about capitalism wouldnt survive in a socialist society. Most of them have only been there as tourists in the tourist sections, and they dont see what poor really is. People dont realize how lucky they are to live in a capitalist society, but then they have the right to bitch about it unlike in other countries...........
:eek: .....You said bitch:eek: !!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
traynor_garnet said:
Yes, you are right. Man, I need my morning coffee before I should resond. Of course, it really doesn't change the argument . . .
I would just like to point out that despite the break up of the Soviet Block or a decision by the masses to buy nothing on specific days, Back in the USSR is still a great song. :banana:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
I bought stuff on friday, and saturday. whoopdeedoo, it's christmas time.

south korea is fueled by capitalism, btw. north korea on the other hand is communist.

while the intention of buy nothing day is good, people don't care enough to bother.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Shop on line no crowds and no gas needed...if you can read this post your already have way there. Unless you like crowds and don't trust the internet shopping experience or can only pay cash. Happy shopping
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Buy Nothing Day is a load of touchy-feely-hogwash.... Designed so that people with more time than brains can try to 'one-up' the people around them....

"Oooo... Look how socially conscious I am... I do Buy Nothing Day"

As if that somehow made their suburbanite, soulless, yuppie existence slightly less vacuous

Empty, meaningless gestures for an empty, meaningless culture
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ClintonHammond said:
Buy Nothing Day is a load of touchy-feely-hogwash.... Designed so that people with more time than brains can try to 'one-up' the people around them....

"Oooo... Look how socially conscious I am... I do Buy Nothing Day"

As if that somehow made their suburbanite, soulless, yuppie existence slightly less vacuous

Empty, meaningless gestures for an empty, meaningless culture
The purpose of telling people about BND is not to gain status. The purpose is to spread the idea of taking a breath -- a break from routine. The purpose of observing BND is to take that breath and have a look around.

I certainly don't defend BND religiously; I'm just working on the spreading the idea.

If people are trying to one-up each other by bragging about observing BND instead of bragging about that new PDA or cellphone, then that's a step in the right direction, as far as I'm concerned.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Zeusse said:
Shop on line no crowds and no gas needed...if you can read this post your already have way there. Unless you like crowds and don't trust the internet shopping experience or can only pay cash. Happy shopping
While shopping online does have those benefits, at the same it adds more lubrication to the credit card, making it less painful to buy stuff, and that's what BND is aiming to reduce. The crowd acts as a deterrent from purchasing anything, so in the eyes of BND, gonig out shopping is better.

Energy-wise, you have the gas used by the plane/truck to get the item from wherever it is to your doorstep, and after the 3rd delivery attempt because you work all day and no-one's home to receive the package on an attempted delivery, the gas you used to drive to the depot to pick it up. Then there's the energy used in making those styrofoam esssssssses, and the carboard box...things you get less of when you buy at the store.

From personal experience... I've used my credit card so much that I have the number, date and security code memorized. I'm also a packrat, and in my own estimation, it takes about 10 times as much energy and time to sell something used for a reasonable price than it took to buy that item in the first place.

BND is another reminder that it's about the skill, feel, groove, ear, and not about the gear.

Chris
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top