1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
371 Posts
what was the phrase? Buying a shirt gets your band 30 miles down the road? or something like that

·
Premium Member
12,255 Posts
Back when you need the assistance of 'the man' to produce an album, you'd sell your soul to him for the opportunity. And once he had you, he had you.

FFW a couple of decades and we can now record our own hits without 'the man'. But marketing? Yep, still gotta sell our soul to access the market we need.

That's why so many songs have been written about artist's getting screwed by management, record execs, hell, even DJ's. Death on two legs? Definitely!

·
Premium Member
17,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what was the phrase? Buying a shirt gets your band 30 miles down the road? or something like that
More or less haha.

Better believe I'll be hitting the pavement when our preorder launches ;)

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I've heard bandcamp gives the best % to artists?

has anyone run across a good guide for musicians in the biz today?

Joe Bonnamassa seems to be doing ok on his own. as well as Deadmouse

·
Premium Member
17,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard bandcamp gives the best % to artists?

has anyone run across a good guide for musicians in the biz today?

Joe Bonnamassa seems to be doing ok on his own. as well as Deadmouse
Bandcamp is the platform and artists choose how much to charge.

Bonamassa came from money, and I wouldnt be surprised if deadmau5 did too.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Spotify and Amazon 'sue songwriters' with appeal against 44% royalty rise in the United States - Music Business Worldwide

Short version: Gov't approves 44% rate increase in streaming royalties across 5 years in US. Spotify and Amazon file an appeal.

It's a good time to switch to Apple Music ;). Still not paying artists enough, but at least on the right side of this one.

But in reality, go to shows and buy music from the merch table.
Am I reading this wrong? Is this not a good thing for the songwriters? If they have to pay royalties like that to the songwriters, maybe Spotify will stop playing music I didn't ask for. I hate when they do that.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Am I reading this wrong? Is this not a good thing for the songwriters? If they have to pay royalties like that to the songwriters, maybe Spotify will stop playing music I didn't ask for. I hate when they do that.
I think this is the important part:

"Spotify and Amazon file an appeal"

they are trying to block the 44% increase

Reactions: Budda

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
back in the day when " the man" was controlling everything,
100 hundred bands made it by selling 1 million records each.
These days, there are 1 million bands trying to sell 100 records each.

I honestly cant tell which system is better.
Both seem to have pluses and minuses to me.
G.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Anyone know how the performers/writers get paid on Spotify. My neighbours son has about 6 songs on Spotify and at a recent party, I played all of his songs. I was just wondering how he would be compensated and how much money he would get.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Anyone know how the performers/writers get paid on Spotify. My neighbours son has about 6 songs on Spotify and at a recent party, I played all of his songs. I was just wondering how he would be compensated and how much money he would get.
You wouldn't see any money at all with such little views. In that sense the monetization closely resembles YouTube.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Anyone know how the performers/writers get paid on Spotify.
2019 Spotify rates going up...

Previously ranked as the service with one of the worst payouts, Spotify has steadily increased its per-stream rate.

Last year, the service paid out $0.0038 per play. Earlier this year, Spotify increased its per-stream payouts to $0.00397. The streaming music giant now reportedly pays $0.00437 per play. According to award-winning cellist and composer Zoe Keating, she received $0.00543 per play on average this year. At $0.00473 per play, artists will need around 336,842 total plays to earn $1,472.

With over 191 million monthly active users, and 87 million subscribers, the service has lost over $584 million so far this year. Per user, the service loses $2.68.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
What a joke. No wonder @Budda says "buy from the table".

At the peak of the oil boom each band member got $300 every time we showed up. OK for a hobby, but it would never feed a family without two dozen nights per month. Travel etc came out of that too.

So glad to be independently wealthy (retired).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts