The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Yo.
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize I have a thing for messed up guitars. I think I just like restoring them to be playable and as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

My next patient is a 1996 Squier Super-Sonic in blue flake. Here, we had an "artist" try to do some really funky things to it. The body was etched all over the place with random doodles. There's a Vai like logo chiseled on the front. The logo was hacked away and chiseled out. The pickguard and electronics are not original.

ftf9eaxqc5jwbiy3ljy1.jpg
oynge5rx6f7ekzxbpbsd.jpg
ds5t9u4bvifiwaqrjbjd.jpg
pejtzpqm5gjsppilr5gt.jpg
cerkmxl81xrt3rpdblxr.jpg

I figured a restoration to original condition probably will be too much of an undertaking, especially for the areas that had been chiseled out. After mulling it over for a few weeks, I got my brother to help me paint the body. Since we both grew up with Pokemon, he chose to paint them all over the body. This effectively covered up the ugly gash on the top as well as any etchings.

96943836_10157107778501135_4979728496235380736_o.jpg
97674180_10157107778881135_7077216560246423552_o.jpg

Next, we had the headstock.

·
Yo.
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For the headstock, after much deliberation on how to approach it, I decided to give it a veneer as opposed to painting the headstock. Luckily, I had some leftover flame maple veneer, so that was put to use. Let me tell you - filing the edges of the veneer to be flush with the sides of the headstock was a PITA. But the results speak for themselves and I am quite happy with it.

20200615_112206.jpg
20200615_112219.jpg
20200615_112317(1).jpg
20200615_112317.jpg
20200615_112343.jpg

I had to buy new waterslide decals for this. However, decal makers are pretty bad at making things accurate. I had a guy in the states do some decals for me. He's a cool guy and generous with his printings, but unfortunately, he didn't do gold foil. The original Squier logo had gold foil around the edges. The model name and the Series logo was correct, fortunately.

Funny story on how I sourced my gold foil Squier logo - I believe it all started from the Kijiji WTF thread. There's a rather well known guy on Kijiji who purports himself to be a guitar expert and has been known to message you about stuff you sell with no intention of buying. I got curious and clicked on his profile. Lo and behold, he sells logos! While he did not sell a Super-Sonic decal, he sold a Squier Venus decal in gold foil - just what I needed! Anecdotally, his logos are just like his guitar knowledge: not quite right. The Squier logo was perfect, whereas the Venus and Vista logos were completely wrong. I have a Squier Venus, and they're not even close. After a few coats of clear to seal the veneer, the decals went on.

20200616_173530.jpg

I have to shoot a few more coats of clear over the decals and then polish it. As the parts are rolling in, I'm nearing completion of this month long project. Hopefully this will be complete within the next two weeks!

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I realize I have a thing for messed up guitars. I think I just like restoring them to be playable and as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

My next patient is a 1996 Squier Super-Sonic in blue flake. Here, we had an "artist" try to do some really funky things to it. The body was etched all over the place with random doodles. There's a Vai like logo chiseled on the front. The logo was hacked away and chiseled out. The pickguard and electronics are not original.

View attachment 317468 View attachment 317470 View attachment 317472 View attachment 317478 View attachment 317480

I figured a restoration to original condition probably will be too much of an undertaking, especially for the areas that had been chiseled out. After mulling it over for a few weeks, I got my brother to help me paint the body. Since we both grew up with Pokemon, he chose to paint them all over the body. This effectively covered up the ugly gash on the top as well as any etchings.

View attachment 317484 View attachment 317486

Who does that to a guitar? What is wrong with them?

·
Registered
10,849 Posts

View attachment 317468 View attachment 317470 View attachment 317472 View attachment 317478 View attachment 317480

View attachment 317484 View attachment 317486

Charizard and Charmander but no Charmeleon?

·
Yo.
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who does that to a guitar? What is wrong with them?
Who knows, but we were all teens once. I remember when I was 17, I took a broken Taylor 110 and made it "my own". I installed a new spruce top with a gaudy flame design as the rosette. I also ripped out the label, as I had no idea that Taylor guitars were not considered low end.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Your brother has talent and skill. Really awesome. I’ve considered getting him to do a guitar since the first One you posted some years back.

does he have a portfolio online that could check out?
Looks like he signed the pickup cavity, found this: https://www.mathiaschau-art.com/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts