The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several guitars and don't NEED any more.
I recently played a nice Strat and didn't buy it because it was a sunburst.
I have a passion for the instrument and love to play new ones.
Lately I have come to realize,
I don't like sunburst guitars.
Actually, any guitars that show their woodgrain roots.
Paint that guitar.
I think I have Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Dimebag in my corner.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I don't like clown bursts or poorly executed ones, heavy flame or quilt tops....but, really and truly, what difference does it make when we play? We don't see it when we are playing. We cant hear a finish, nor can anyone else. Nobody else really cares what it looks like if you are performing. We only care if we are gazing at it when it hangs on the wall or is on display, or when we clean it.

Why do we get so hung up on such things?? I don't even see my guitar when I play it...

·
Registered
7,191 Posts
....and that is one of the beautiful things about the instrument. It comes in so many shapes, configurations and colours that there is room to have lots of individual preference. Play what you love.

·
Registered
14,371 Posts
I don't like clown bursts or poorly executed ones, heavy flame or quilt tops....but, really and truly, what difference does it make when we play? We don't see it when we are playing. We cant hear a finish, nor can anyone else. Nobody else really cares what it looks like if you are performing. We only care if we are gazing at it when it hangs on the wall or is on display, or when we clean it.

Why do we get so hung up on such things?? I don't even see my guitar when I play it...
I still like to see the grain anyway--at least when I take it out of the case.
On the otehr hand I do like black Les Pauls--but my theory is that they have boring woodgrain--let me have that...

But finish is one of the last things I think about when buying a guitar.
I have chosen the one that has a finish I like less, because I liked how it felt & how it played...

Reactions: Blind Dog

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I still like to see the grain anyway--at least when I take it out of the case.
On the otehr hand I do like black Les Pauls--but my theory is that they have boring woodgrain--let me have that...

But finish is one of the last things I think about when buying a guitar.
I have chosen the one that has a finish I like less, because I liked how it felt & how it played...
I saw some shoTS of a well used 52 Gold Top LP the other day. Hiding under the gold was a stunning flame maple.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Aesthetics are an important part of the instrument, whether its shape or colour for me. I'm less likely to play the guitar if I just don't dig the finish.... I've owned many guitars with flame tops, some that played phenomenally but I just don't like the look of flame maple caps for some reason so I tend to let those ones go quickly. I like everything else though, wild painted colours, graphics, worn teles/lps and of course quilt tops.

·
Premium Member
11,616 Posts

We don't see the exterior of the car we are driving. And yet, the Pacer/Aztec/Edsel died quickly in the marketplace. Don't kid yourself that external aesthetics matters.

I care what the guitar around my neck looks like, within reason. I care about how it sounds and plays more, but all other things being equal, I don't want (what I perceive to be) an ugly guitar.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I have several guitars and don't NEED any more.
I recently played a nice Strat and didn't buy it because it was a sunburst.
I have a passion for the instrument and love to play new ones.
Lately I have come to realize,
I don't like sunburst guitars.
Actually, any guitars that show their woodgrain roots.
Paint that guitar.
I think I have Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Dimebag in my corner.
Here's one for you...a sunburst of sorts but no grain showing :)

https://flic.kr/p/36741040805

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Don't get me wrong guys. I'm not being critical or anything...and I appreciate beautiful guitars as much as the rest, but it strikes me as being odd how for many of us, it's a large consideration when it makes no difference to sound or playability (sticky necks aside)

Cars, boats, houses, clothes etc are often measures of status, but I don't see guitars in the same light. (We don't place Gibsons in the back windows of our cars or walk through the subway with a Martin slung on our backs for looks...if you do, maybe see a doc....

And I'm guilty as charged. I bought a nice plaintop Elitist over a G Studio. (not just for looks, but that was a factor)

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
Yep; clown burst is the worst.... though sometimes ugly can be so ugly and different that it's awesome (clown burst is not rare, just shitty). Case in point was this (for lack of a better term) greenburst Jolanda (I think - something from the Eastern Bloc) hollowbody bass. It was a medium green faded to black at the edges IIRC - not like the Ric greenglo (or whatever they called it) which was horrible:

Gibson silverburst is kind of hit or miss - depends on the specimen in question (seen some bad and some good - the silver always fades to a greenish hue once the nitro yellows, but I don't mind that).

Then there was this monstrosity that I could never decide if I liked or not (I eventually sold it without gigging it once):

I'm not too picky - solids can be cool, and so can grain. I just tend to not be a fan of highly figured tops because it's just too bling for my tastes.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Sunburst or natural for me, gotta see some wood. Having said that there are some solid colours I like especially on Fenders but generally I like to see some woodgrain.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I can go with solid colours but I like natural finishes best when it's a nice grain to be shown off. I like bursts too if they are not too light or too dark.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I'm not a fan of any of the bursts either.

·
Premium Member
16,629 Posts
Cars, boats, houses, clothes etc are often measures of status, but I don't see guitars in the same light.
Most guitar players do, though. I'm not sure that any other instrumentalist is *quite* as finnicky about status instruments as guitar players are. People are quick to judge. That's why we're quick to say where our stuff was made, no matter which part of our rig it's in. I'm going to check real quick to see if it's an epiphone les paul or a Gibson, and if it's a Gibson I'm curious as to if it's a standard, R*, Classic etc. The player can sound absolutely incredible and I will still want to know what brand of guitar and amp they're using, and if they did any mods.

As soon as an artist is on stage, their instrument is as much a status symbol as the car they're driving home that night.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
those are good points!

try as I may to resist, I find myself thinking along the same lines. But it shouldn't matter, dammit

I guess we can call it the EXCALIBUR COMPLEX

1 - 20 of 29 Posts