The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m finally getting round to building my own cables and am just feeling a bit swamped with information, i did search the forums and couldn’t find anything and am also sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I have always used planet waves cables but since they turned in to ddadario they have gone down in quality and i have had two die on me at the same time so I think its time for a change.

I am in the process of starting to build cables for my new studio, I thought new studio finally chuck all the bad cables that have accumulated over the years and start afresh.
For some reason I had decided on using amphenol connectors for the studio and possibly mogami cable but after several hours of research for guitar cables I am nowhere with what to use.

What I want to find answers to are,
What connectors to use for guitar amphenol, neutrik, switchcraft or something else?
Are they all pretty much the same, should I just get whatever I can get the best deal on?
What model should i use for guitar/instrument cables as I do need to think of pedalboard connectors so don’t want really heavy duty stuff taking up half my board.
What cable should I be looking for, is high quality own brand as good as name brands?

If anyone has any recommendations for the studio cable or connectors then im all ears.

Bare in mind I’m in Europe so There are a few cables I can’t get. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also finally broke down and made a bunch of guitar cables. I used Morgami wiring. I used neutrik connectors, and I usually like most of their stuff but I actually recommend switchcraft connectors for ts and trs especially.
For pedalboard stuff you should look into George L cabling. It’s a little pricey, but it’s non soldering and easy to make super short cables especially with 90 degree turns. The neutrik 90 degree connectors were especially difficult to solder for me.
Good luck. It’s worth the effort. I have found most off the shelf cables are not well made and it is cheaper to diy than buy the ones that are well made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,604 Posts
What connectors to use for guitar amphenol, neutrik, switchcraft or something else?
Personally, I like Neutrik plugs

Are they all pretty much the same, should I just get whatever I can get the best deal on?
I believe that Neutrik are a better engineered product line. I especially like their "clutch" system to hold the cable.

What model should i use for guitar/instrument cables as I do need to think of pedalboard connectors so don’t want really heavy duty stuff taking up half my board.
For a pedal board, I would use pancake plugs. I have found the Chinese copies to be virtually as good as the Switchcraft plugs.

What cable should I be looking for, is high quality own brand as good as name brands?
Canare and Mogami are wonderful cables...but expensive. For the most part, bulk cable (sold by the foot/meter) has served me well.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Van Damme Pro if you are in Europe

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The george ls are definitely out of my price range as at over £10 a cable would cost me a fortune, with four boards to do and one being quite large it’s not really feasible.
I’m not opposed to spending some money as I do want quality but when I could build 3 cables with decent parts for the same price I don’t see the point.
Also are the solderless cables really as sturdy? I need hard wearing tough cables.

The pancake cables ive always been a bit hesitant about as they looked unsturdy to me, would chinese ones from ebay really be as good as the name brand?
I am using planet waves patch at the moment so I can cope with some bulk.

After browsing the switchcraft website I’m not that thrilled with what they have to offer, they don’t look as good as the neutrik or amphenol connectors.

·
Registered
345 Posts
For guitar to pedal or amp, I use Neutrik NP2 (could be straight or right angle, depending on the guitar's jack type and location.) for the plug that goes to the guitar's jack. I can find Neutirlk plugs locally, otherwise I don't mind using Amphenol. If the other end goes to a pedal, then the plug would likely be a Switchcraft. If it goes to an amp's input jack, then it would be a Neutrik, too. I used to have a guitar cable made with Switchcraft plugs. No issues, but the Neutrik or Amphenol plugs are better built for guitar jacks (plug/unplug, dropping the plug on the floor, etc.)

For pedals, I use Switchcraft pancakes or right angle plugs, depending on the pedal's location of in/out jacks. Some Boss pedals can't take two pancake plugs running in stereo, because they built the jacks too close to each other.

If properly soldered, the Swtichcraft pancakes should be fine. I have made about 20-40 patch cables with Switchcraft pancake plugs for various pedals, none have failed so far.

For rackmount stuff, I use Switchcraft straight plugs. They are easier to handle than right angle ones.

If you can find Sommer cables in bulk, give them a try. I have two Sommer SC Spirit cables built with Neutrik plugs that I bought while I was visiting Germany several years ago. They are as good as the Mogami W2524. Too bad Sommer cables are hard to find here in Canada. They have different models of instrument cables to fit any budget. They must be easier to find in Europe, and could be cheaper than Mogami.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sommer cables as well as the klotz look very attractive price wise.

One thing I’m struggling with is on respective websites I can’t seem to tell which connector is better than the others or which cable.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Everyone is all about Mogami but if you look at capacitance of the wire there are a lot of companies that beat Mogami. Most of them in fact. The lowest rated cable is 52pf with mogami being in the 130 - 150 range. Van Damme comes in at 90 or less depending on the model and is cheaper than Mogami if you buy it from the UK. The winner is Sommer LLX at 52pf per meter.

www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/capacitance-chart.html

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
I paid 1.15 per meter CDN for Van Damme pro grade Xke. I think Mogami is a dollar per foot.

I use nothing but Neutrik silent plugs

·
Premium Member
3,286 Posts
Like everyone else, it seems, I use Neutrik connectors for everthing. I have had experience with some cheap knock-offs and they aren't the same... plastic seems more brittle and the metal doesn't seem to take solder as well. I use Canare cable. I particularly like their L-4E6S cable for balanced signals. In over 20 years, I've never had a cable go bad.

·
Premium Member
17,604 Posts
squareplug comparison .jpg

I wish we could get the square plugs (far right) easily. They appear to be very nice for pedal boards. I recently tried to buy 100, but the shipping and currency conversion from the U.S.A. resulted in them being quite expensive.

I have used Chinese made pancake plugs (purchased locally) to make cables for 2 large pedal boards and a few others. One of the boards was for the guitarist @Budda of the "Sparrows" band. He is on this forum and will hopefully comment as to how the cables have done through time and the demands of touring conditions.

Do you have these EBS patch cables from Sweden? They are selling very well at our local music store. Not inexpensive and not able to be repaired (AFAIK)

A warning...I tried some Chinese knock-off Neutriks ...JUNK!!

I think Mogami is a dollar per foot.
I bought 400 feet of Mogami a few years back and could not get it for even close to $1.00/foot. Where are you buying it from at that price? L&M will order it for you... at that time they wanted over $2.00/foot.

The winner is Sommer LLX at 52pf per meter.
The Sommer cable looks great!...especially with all the colour choices.

I have a bunch of George L ends that I will never use again.
I have heard this many, many times.

@Joshua Caole ...Please keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Gearge L stuff can be interchanged with disaster area cables and plugs. Van Damme has 8 colors as well, I just rechecked the price I paid, 15 feet purple was 9.88 and 15 feet blue was 9.88 plus 10 bucks shipping, so a smidge over 30 CDN for 10 meters or 30 feet of cable

Cheapest price I have seen Mogami gold is 1.30 per foot on ebay

Lower capacitance means more highs.. Same as your tone cap value, smaller means more highs larger is less highs

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
a) any of those brand name connectors
b) unless you have a preference, whatever you can get a good deal on
c) if dyi'ing, I would get two types of cable --- a larger diameter cable that is stronger and has lower capacitance / foot for your long runs (guitar -> board, board -> amp) and a thinner cable for short pedal to pedal cables, where capacitance doesn't make much difference
d) it varies, go with what you can trust / afford.

I have a preference for Switchcraft connectors - I have some that have never failed in over 40 years of being stepped on, yanked on, slammed in road cases, etc. Both pancake and in-line plugs. That's not to say the other brands mentions are bad, they are all good products. Problem with SC is, if you drop a connector, say from your guitar to the floor, you'll break the floor.

I tried some Chinese knock-offs and had a lot of failures, especially with the pancake plugs. The center conductor spins wrt to the body of the connector and then the solder connection to that center conductor breaks. Nothing worse than trouble-shooting crappy cables on a pedalboard while your band is waiting for you to get your shit together. Your time is worth more than you will save on those cheap connectors, IMO.

Reactions: jb welder

·
Premium Member
17,179 Posts
My cables from greco have been good. My pedals have been dying first haha :/. Definitely buy quality stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
I'll bet a 20 year old switchcraft anything is better than what they are making today.

·
Premium Member
8,703 Posts
The EBS cables are fabulous for a packed pedal board. Been using a dozen or so for about a year, no failures or issues, they go in and STAY IN as well.

I did a picture tutorial of building cables with pancake ends somewhere on here, but I can't find it with a quick search......I'm pretty sure someone else did a video turorial too.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Personally, I like Neutrik plugs
I believe that Neutrik are a better engineered product line. I especially like their "clutch" system to hold the cable.
Amphenol are just as good, also have the chuck, and much cheaper. I use Amphenol for 1/4" TS and TRS which are also slimmer than the rather bulky Neutriks. I stocked up years ago when they were cheap so I still use Neutrik XLRs, but if I had to re-buy today, I would consider Amphenol.

Canare and Mogami are wonderful cables...but expensive. For the most part, bulk cable (sold by the foot/meter) has served me well.
Mogami should be out of the question - double the price of any other major brand. That stuff is for snobs. I do use Canare for studio wiring and mic/line cables. Canare is just as good but miles cheaper; compatative price-wise with generic brands at least when it comes to mic/line cable; dunno re instrument cable cuz I haven't looked at that for a while .

For guitar I use Gotham GAC-1. I like the double reussan shield, nice supple jacket, and relatively slim profile. Not expensive.

I wish we could get the square plugs (far right) easily. They appear to be very nice for pedal boards. I recently tried to buy 100, but the shipping and currency conversion from the U.S.A. resulted in them being quite expensive.
I got a bunch coming in. The trick is to get a big order going vs just trying to buy the plugs alone.

I have used Chinese made pancake plugs (purchased locally) to make cables for 2 large pedal boards and a few others. One of the boards was for the guitarist @Budda of the "Sparrows" band. He is on this forum and will hopefully comment as to how the cables have done through time and the demands of touring conditions.
I find some of the Chinese knockoffs better than actual Switchcrafts, the issue is the quality varies considerably by source - it's a gamble till you find a good source. But all trad style pancake jacks are sucky IMHO due to difficulty soldering the ground (no tab - have to solder to the case; annoying and time consuming for no good reason) and poor strain relief (unless you have just the right diameter cable or wrap it to fit better; which is what appologists say, but is unacceptable to me). The only advantage is the low profile (unbeatable before the Squareplug). They are also much more expensive than other quality options (e.g. the Amphenol r angle jacks I use; sure not as small a profile, but small enough, good quality, easy to work on and cheap).

Reactions: greco
1 - 20 of 62 Posts