The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I have wanted to do for the past number of years....

STarted Friday night and worked a bit on it yesterday. It should go together pretty quickly I think.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Talk about a coincidence, earlier today I was over at Fenders website reading about the limited edition (250 of them) Custom Shop Andy Summers Telecaster model and they want a LOT of cash for their version. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm sittin on the edge of my seat. Looking forward to seeing that guitar progress :banana: What are you planning on putting in it for pickups? Also, is it a poplar or alder body?? It's a pleasure to hang with such talented craftsmen.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats poplar. I have lots of 8/4 poplar in my shop, so I used it instead of ordering alder. I have another Poplar body tele I made and its really nice.

I got a set of pickups (tele bridge and PAF style HB) made up from a fellow on HC, his name is Bryan Gunsher and he has a custom pickup business. I am looking forward to trying them out.

Hardware is a gold Gotoh modern tele bridge (closest I could find to the brass one on Andy's guitar), chrome control plate. Two chrome knobs with a third for the built in boost I am putting in (I have no idea what is in the Summers' tele but I am using an EMG AB-1 booster). I am also putting in a phase switch and a coil cut for the HB. On Andy's, there is a phase switch and the boost switch, but on the AB-1 its on a pull/push so the other switch can be used by me for coil cutting.

I am not going to put in the walnut skunk stripe on the back of the neck since the two way truss rod doesnt leave much room along the back of the neckand I dont want to weaken it.

Anyway, I will do some more work on it tomorrow after work, and hope to fret the neck and shape it. There really isnt much to do after that, just a bit of work on the body and its ready for paint!

AJC

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
If you're going to make a sig guitar, you might as well do it in style. The Andy Summers is a great great choice. I'm jealous :)

Are you gonna relic it like the Fender sig?

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Looks great!

Ha....I'm building my first guitar (an LP Junior), and you did more in your first day on that Tele than I've done in the last year. :smile:

Jim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just wanted to say that you have done a great job. How many have you done? I know some people that build on the side and had to make quite a few to get that good.
Dennis

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, I dont know how good my guitars are, but I have made a few for others (its not something I normally do but I would in special circumstances) and they seem to like them. I like them! I have built maybe 30 now? In the last 21 years... started when I was 15 and I am 36 now.

Anyhow, I worked last night and early this morning before work, and this evening I finished it up!

6 days of spare time = one decent guitar and a dream for me, since I have wanted to do this for years now. Thanks to Fender's site and photos of their replica I finally did it!

AJC

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mike T. said:
Tell me more about the solid body on the floor. That one looks perfect.

Mike, thats my take on kinda PRS'ish guitar. Its a mahogany body and neck with a curly maple cap thats heavily carved. The fingerboard is actually a used LP classic board that I refretted. It has a set of Fralin PAF's and a single volume/tone and a 3 wat switch with a coil cut (for both pickups) on the tone pot. Grover locking tuners.

I built it in 2005 and its one of my faves.

AJC

·
Registered
45 Posts
ajcoholic said:
Mike, thats my take on kinda PRS'ish guitar. Its a mahogany body and neck with a curly maple cap thats heavily carved. The fingerboard is actually a used LP classic board that I refretted. It has a set of Fralin PAF's and a single volume/tone and a 3 wat switch with a coil cut (for both pickups) on the tone pot. Grover locking tuners.
I built it in 2005 and its one of my faves.
AJC
Thanks AJ. It's just simply beautiful. Do you have any better pics of it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts