The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passive stereo balance box.
The backside will have 2 mono male 1/4's as inputs, mounted directly into the aluminum to mate with Zoom MS-70CDR output jacks.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
So, wired like a traditional hi-fi amp balance control? I.e., a pot that bleeds signal to ground (via the wiper) in reciprocal manner?

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, wired like a traditional hi-fi amp balance control? I.e., a pot that bleeds signal to ground (via the wiper) in reciprocal manner?
Kinda. I wanted to keep the load constant & the output z fairly low.
Also, I didn't want complete silence on either end.
25K POT1 pin1 2.2K to grnd.
POT1 pin 2 output
POT1 pin 3 input

25K POT2 pin1 input
POT2 pin 2 output
POT2 pin 3 2.2K to grnd.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got to finishing the stereo balance box.
Tolerances re: the mating jacks & plugs was more finicky than I expected, and I was expecting finicky! - (~0.25mm?)
I wound up epoxying in the plugs while the boxes were mated, just to be sure.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I’m trying to understand why you need this: is it to get louder signal from one side of the stereo effect? I don’t get why that would be wanted?

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
Must have been tricky getting the "altitude" of the plugs to mate perfectly with the pedal.

This fellow posted a diatribe against such solid couplers a few months back. And while I think he raises some cogent points, he's really targeting generic use of solid couplers than custom-tailored arrangements like you made.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Looks like the zoom may be straight 90 degree sided though.

Also (and this is nitpicking, but in case nobody actually noticed I wanted to point out that) those aren't couplers or patches but chassis mount male connectors (I mentioned previously in another thread when someone told me that I used jack/plug wrong as an example of a situation when it is unclear which is the correct term). Same principle as the vid above would apply, if the sides were not straight, but to one pedal vs both.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I’m trying to understand why you need this: is it to get louder signal from one side of the stereo effect? I don’t get why that would be wanted?
I presume this is so that one can set the relative volume levels of the amps from the position of the pedalboard, without going to each amp to adjust the volume, back to the board to check levels, back to the amp to adjust the volume, etc.

I had a Strymon Deco for a little while that allowed me to do the same thing in wide-stereo mode, and it was a feature I really miss. @Ray Cathode this is a great idea! The only difference I would want is just standard input jacks so it could be used in a variety of situations. It would probably work well for balancing a wet/dry rig too.

Are you taking orders? ;)

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
(I mentioned previously in another thread when someone told me that I used jack/plug wrong as an example of a situation when it is unclear which is the correct term).
Who on earth could be so picky, exacting, particular, precise, etc. to tell you that?

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I presume this is so that one can set the relative volume levels of the amps from the position of the pedalboard, without going to each amp to adjust the volume, back to the board to check levels, back to the amp to adjust the volume, etc.
Exactly. Lets me concentrate on playing (being creative) v fiddling (being a techie).
Seems like a minor thing, but getting into a good frame of mind has a big impact for me. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment.
That's why I took the time to build this thing.

I had a Strymon Deco for a little while that allowed me to do the same thing in wide-stereo mode, and it was a feature I really miss. @Ray Cathode this is a great idea! The only difference I would want is just standard input jacks so it could be used in a variety of situations. It would probably work well for balancing a wet/dry rig too.

Are you taking orders? ;)
Oh God. If someone threw enough cash at me and gave me a few months, maybe. :D

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Must have been tricky getting the "altitude" of the plugs to mate perfectly with the pedal.

This fellow posted a diatribe against such solid couplers a few months back. And while I think he raises some cogent points, he's really targeting generic use of solid couplers than custom-tailored arrangements like you made.
Yeah, tricky.
Very valid point re the solid coupling. If I didn't have a particular need for this (I won't go into it here) I would have designed it with 4 jacks for sure.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
I encourage you to explore re-processing. This is one of the most underexploited features of stereo pedals. One can regularly find new variations of an effect by taking the output of one channel, feeding it to the input of the other one, and taking the re-processed result from the second channel as the final output. Works with lots of stereo pedals. My favorite is re-reversing reverse delay, but it can sound great with moduated delays and reverb too.

The caveat is that it can sometimes result in undesirable feedback. But your adaptor box addresses that by being able to adjust the output level of the first channel, before feeding it back to the other channel.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I encourage you to explore re-processing. This is one of the most underexploited features of stereo pedals. One can regularly find new variations of an effect by taking the output of one channel, feeding it to the input of the other one, and taking the re-processed result from the second channel as the final output. Works with lots of stereo pedals.

The caveat is that it can sometimes result in undesirable feedback. But your adaptor box addresses that by being able to adjust the output level of the first channel, before feeding it back to the other channel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts