The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently heard this and it made me laugh...

"Wiring up a 335 is like building a ship in a bottle"

My question is...Has anyone been able to solder the pickups to one of these pre-made harnesses and stuff it into a semi-hollow or full hollow style guitar.

I have wired up quite a few of these and always find that I need to leave a fair amount of wire between the pots and switch and output jack and bridge ground ("wiggle room"). I still end up with snagged wires and other fun issues.

In addition, I could never see myself having any success 'stuffing' the harness with the caps wired in that way. I'm sure that I would end up with broken solder joints (or cap leads) and/or bent/broken pot terminals.

To all of you pros...am I just lacking skills or are there techniques that I have yet to discover?

I am fully aware of the string/tubing approach for pots and switches and I made a special tool for pulling the output jack into place.

Looking forward to learning.

Cheers

Dave

L

·
0 Posts
.. end up with broken solder joints (or cap leads) ..
Slow n' steady would be my advice.
If your concern is the 'flexing' of the cap leads, maybe a stabilizer like coat hanger wire?
or solder the cap onto the tone pot instead of from pot to pot?
Then again, I don't know if that makes a difference in 'tone' quality.

·
Premium Member
5,307 Posts
I use what is called "tag wire". It's a thin silver wire, comes in 12" lengths. made for attaching tags to things. Shove it down the hole, fish it out the F hole and attach to the pot/switch/jack to it and pull it back. Jack first and work my way down.
Patience is a virtue.

·
Premium Member
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
or solder the cap onto the tone pot instead of from pot to pot?
Then again, I don't know if that makes a difference in 'tone' quality.
That is my preferred approach and that is what was done in the pic you posted. Electronically, the results are apparently/logically the same.

...fish it out the F hole and attach to the pot/switch/jack to it and pull it back.
I have done lots of successful "fishing" with string or rubber tubing (at least 20 guitars). That isn't really what I'm asking.

My question is ... Has anyone installed a pre-soldered harness (as per the pic in the original post) that has such limited wiring between all of the components and with the cap located "between" the pots. I can't see how it could be done by most mere mortals ...and I have a ton of patience, desire, perseverance and reasonable (IMO) experience.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
That is my preferred approach and that is what was done in the pic you posted. Electronically, the results are apparently/logically the same.

I have done lots of successful "fishing" with string or rubber tubing (at least 20 guitars). That isn't really what I'm asking.

My question is ... Has anyone installed a pre-soldered harness (as per the pic in the original post) that has such limited wiring between all of the components and with the cap located "between" the pots. I can't see how it could be done by most mere mortals ...and I have a ton of patience, desire, perseverance and reasonable (IMO) experience.
Yes, did it to my 335. It's not a difficult as it may seem. Patience and calculated procedure, not a problem.

·
Premium Member
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used a pre-wired harness on my Sheraton, the thread is here somewhere. No issues once I used the fish tank tubing :D
Yes, did it to my 335. It's not a difficult as it may seem. Patience and calculated procedure, not a problem.
Thanks for the responses. Seems like my concerns and thoughts are unfounded.

When I first saw these harnesses, I thought they would have to be reasonable to install. Otherwise, they wouldn't sell.
I guess my imagination got the best of me on this one.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've done a few harnesses like that! Some go smoothly while others are more frustrating. Lol.

Two things help me: A set of dentist tools (the things they scrape your teeth with). They're great for helping align the pots below the holes and hooking onto the pots themselves as you pull them up into the holes. I bought a cheap set of eBay years ago.

The tool that Stew Mac sells for pulling the output jack out the hole works very well too. I tried fishing line but it was a PITA to get undone sometimes.

Having done quite a few Byrdlands, these are the two things I recommend for full and semi hollow bodies.

·
Premium Member
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tool that Stew Mac sells for pulling the output jack out the hole works very well too.
This what I built many years ago. I used a piece of fairly stiff wire with the shaft of a 1/4' plug soldered to it. Works great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts