The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought some speakers and would like to build a new speaker cab for my old Traynor YGL-3A head. I want this to be closed back because I am wanting some really punching mids for harder rock stuff. I have bought an Eminence Private Jack and a Governor for it.
Anyways, I'm really stuck on deciding dimensions and porting. My retired father(and accomplished woodworker who is a perfectionist) will build it if I tell him exactly what I want. (He's already almost finished my open back combo cab for my other amp)
Of course, smaller is generally better because the idea is to have a more portable cab than the giant 1x15 Yorkville cab I have right now that is like a giant cube that comes almost up to my waist. Now, while size is important (so I can get it in the back doors of my car), I want a good sound that still will have decent mids and bass.
So, any help or advice (or excellent working dimensions or porting styles) would be much appreciated.Thanks!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I bought some speakers and would like to build a new speaker cab for my old Traynor YGL-3A head. I want this to be closed back because I am wanting some really punching mids for harder rock stuff. I have bought an Eminence Private Jack and a Governor for it.
Anyways, I'm really stuck on deciding dimensions and porting. My retired father(and accomplished woodworker who is a perfectionist) will build it if I tell him exactly what I want. (He's already almost finished my open back combo cab for my other amp)
Of course, smaller is generally better because the idea is to have a more portable cab than the giant 1x15 Yorkville cab I have right now that is like a giant cube that comes almost up to my waist. Now, while size is important (so I can get it in the back doors of my car), I want a good sound that still will have decent mids and bass.
So, any help or advice (or excellent working dimensions or porting styles) would be much appreciated.Thanks!
You might want to check out my post in the "Amp Tech" forum.

Good luck!

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, Thanks Wild Bill. So, I'm a bit embarrassed...should I have posted this in the "amp tech" forum? Is there a way to move it?

So, by what it sounds like you are saying (in your other post), it may not even be worth it to go closed cab at all?
(that would make things simpler and lighter)

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
I don't want this to be interpreted that Wild Bill's thread will not provide all the information that you (and your father) need, but there is also a book on this topic on:

http://www.londonpower.com

(a friend of mine bought it and is impressed...I haven't actually read/seen the book)

I'd be interested to find out what Wild Bill thinks of this book, and and other comments he has, in general, about the website. :bow:

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts