The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you recommend as far as speaker configuration if you where building an extra cab for a Champ?. Would you recommend two 8in speakers, two 10in. or two 12 in. or just one 12in?
This is a 4 ohm load so assume wiring series parallel two 8ohm speakers to keep it 4 ohms. Thinking about building one.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
Totally personal preference. I am not an expert in cabs and speaker combinations, but I have tried a few configurations through time. In addition, all of these comments are as a hobby player with limited skills and playing mainly 'clean'.

Portability: The 2 x 12' I had was just too large and heavy.

Cone surface area for sound production, volume etc:
A 2 x 10" and 1 x 12" are similar and I think they are a reasonable choice.
Of those choices, I would go with the 1 x 12" as it would be easier and less expensive to experiment with various speaker choices.

I am using a 1 x 10" cab for my basement playing space. It is certainly loud enough and seems more clear/articulate than a 1 x 12". Admittedly, the room where I play always seems "boomy" to me. Many others that I talk to just don't find that a 1 x 10" does anything for them. The cab I bought is a converted 1 x 12" combo amp ($40.00 on Kijiji) and I made a 1 x 10" reducer ring for it. That would be another advantage for considering a 1 x 12".

The 2 x 8" just seems like a lot of work for a limiting cab size. In addition, the most significant factor for not doing this (IMO) is that the speaker selection (both new and used) is somewhat limiting. You could build a 1 x 12" size cab and make it so that it will accept various baffles. You could then try a 2 x 8" (or possibly a 4 x 8").

Cab design (i.e., closed back, ported, convertible back, interior dimensions, materials used, etc) is a rabbit hole unto itself.

I prefer open back and a somewhat larger sized cab.

I'm just giving you some thoughts to ponder over. I will be very curious to read the comments of others that have much more experience and knowledge related to this topic.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
What about renting cabs and building the one you like the sound of most? You can compare stress free at home, and it shouldnt cost too much to rent a few cabs for a week.

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
What about renting cabs and building the one you like the sound of most? You can compare stress free at home, and it shouldnt cost too much to rent a few cabs for a week.
That is exactly what I did with the 2 x 12" cab. The sales guy chuckled when I could hardly lift it to get it to my car. Maybe convertible back Traynor 2 x 12's are just built a bit more on heavy side??!! IIRC, it wasn't all that expensive to rent for a month.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
I'd go with a 1 x 12" or even a 1 x 10", if it was a cab designed to give bass a bit of an advantage. A three-tuber is not going to give you enough output to move a lot of cone. regardless of what the speaker impedance is, the cones still possess mass, and it requires power to move that mass. Keep your eyes peeled for the efficiency rating of whatever you end up using.

·
Premium Member
8,577 Posts
So, a long time ago now, must be 12 years or so, I bought a beat up 76-77 Vibrochamp on ebay. As a father son project, he designed and we built a 2x8 cabinet for it. Enclosed but removable back, some ugly green leatherette tolex from the fabric store. I had previously been to the dump and scavenged stuff out of an old organ, a bunch of tubes (good ones!) and multiple speakers, including an 8". I forget which is which, but 1 speaker is the original and 1 from an organ, 1 is ceramic and 1 is alnico.

That little bastard is LOUD and, cranked fully up with the back on, sounds I swear to god like a little lowish gain Marshall. The only thing is, we weren't smart enough to vent it and it overheats after 15-20 min and shuts down, so it gets played open back. Where it is still freakin loud.

I bought a 2x10 cab with efficient WSG speakers at one point, and used the VibroChamp in a headbox as a pedal platform, in a hard rock basement band. Had LOTS of guts to keep up.

I had posted all of this around here as it happened, with pics, if you want to go looking. I've never tried it through a 12, though I would as I used 1x12's a lot back when I played guitar.

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
back when I played guitar.
This is the second post where I have read that you are not playing guitar now.
Are you just taking a break?, loss of interest?, none of my business? (which I fully respect and understand)

·
Premium Member
8,577 Posts
This is the second post where I have read that you are not playing guitar now.
Are you just taking a break?, loss of interest?, none of my business? (which I fully respect and understand)
No, I've switched to bass full time. I probably didn't pick up a guitar 3 times this year, and everything is so cramped and tight after just about 4 years of primarily playing bass that I can hardly make cowboy chords. Funny thing, I resisted playing bass for many many years, as I just didn't want to despite being a pretty poor guitar player. I'm no ace, but I'm way better on bass, and still very invigorated learning new things and getting better, after a pretty long drought in those areas on guitar.

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
No, I've switched to bass full time.
Thanks for explaining...much appreciated. I was very relieved to read that you weren't forced to stop while recovering from some sort of upper extremity injury or similar.

My good friend, @laristotle, has done similar in that he has been playing bass very frequently for the past year or more.

@marcos Sorry for the derail.

L

·
0 Posts
My good friend, @laristotle, has done similar in that he has been playing bass very frequently for the past year or more.
Same as Keto.
Enjoying bass more these past few years to the point that I'm not sure what those two extra strings on a guitar are for. lol.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Totally personal preference. I am not an expert in cabs and speaker combinations, but I have tried a few configurations through time. In addition, all of these comments are as a hobby player with limited skills and playing mainly 'clean'.

Portability: The 2 x 12' I had was just too large and heavy.

Cone surface area for sound production, volume etc:
A 2 x 10" and 1 x 12" are similar and I think they are a reasonable choice.
Of those choices, I would go with the 1 x 12" as it would be easier and less expensive to experiment with various speaker choices.

I am using a 1 x 10" cab for my basement playing space. It is certainly loud enough and seems more clear/articulate than a 1 x 12". Admittedly, the room where I play always seems "boomy" to me. Many others that I talk to just don't find that a 1 x 10" does anything for them. The cab I bought is a converted 1 x 12" combo amp ($40.00 on Kijiji) and I made a 1 x 10" reducer ring for it. That would be another advantage for considering a 1 x 12".

The 2 x 8" just seems like a lot of work for a limiting cab size. In addition, the most significant factor for not doing this (IMO) is that the speaker selection (both new and used) is somewhat limiting. You could build a 1 x 12" size cab and make it so that it will accept various baffles. You could then try a 2 x 8" (or possibly a 4 x 8").

Cab design (i.e., closed back, ported, convertible back, interior dimensions, materials used, etc) is a rabbit hole unto itself.

I prefer open back and a somewhat larger sized cab.

I'm just giving you some thoughts to ponder over. I will be very curious to read the comments of others that have much more experience and knowledge related to this topic.

All good points Dave. Thank you for taking the time. Will look at all options for sure

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd go with a 1 x 12" or even a 1 x 10", if it was a cab designed to give bass a bit of an advantage. A three-tuber is not going to give you enough output to move a lot of cone. regardless of what the speaker impedance is, the cones still possess mass, and it requires power to move that mass. Keep your eyes peeled for the efficiency rating of whatever you end up using.
Much appreciated as always Mark.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, I've switched to bass full time. I probably didn't pick up a guitar 3 times this year, and everything is so cramped and tight after just about 4 years of primarily playing bass that I can hardly make cowboy chords. Funny thing, I resisted playing bass for many many years, as I just didn't want to despite being a pretty poor guitar player. I'm no ace, but I'm way better on bass, and still very invigorated learning new things and getting better, after a pretty long drought in those areas on guitar.
Its funny but i bought a bass this year and have been getting back into it. I played back in the late 60's-70's and enjoyed it. Lost all my bass runs and rely on YouTube to re-learn. LOL.

·
Premium Member
8,577 Posts
I will speak only to my VibroChamp, but the bass knob on the EQ section is actually relatively powerful. And of course a Blackface style circuit is relatively scooped, with strong top and bottom. With 2x8, and one being ceramic so 'pointier' and tighter throughout its range, I find no lack of bottom end.

With 2 high efficiency 10's, that were crisp clean speakers, in a sealed cab, it was outrageous how loud this little amp would go. Like, not home friendly when maxed, not at all depending on your level of tolerance. OK in a 5 piece hard rock band, I will admit it was lacking a little bottom, but that was more stylistic desire than true lack, opinion. It would have been fine and not max volume at yer typical neighbourhood blues jam.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
@marcos I did this exact thing and put a '70s Champ chassis into a custom-made Deluxe Reverb cabinet. The amp tech I took it to (Rich at Amplifiers Plus) let me do a little experiment. We ran the Champ into a couple of 10s in another cabinet and then into a single 12. We both agreed that of the speakers we had on hand, the two 10s suited the amp better. He made a new baffle and some spacers beside the chassis. It works great!

I have since bought a Deluxe Reverb which has got more use recently. I was considering selling the Champ, but when I put the two of them side by side, I couldn't part with it. They are both different but great. And despite the same cabinet size, the Champ is so much more portable even with two speakers... it's like a feather!

@greco has heard the amp (he helped me swap speakers to Alnico for a bit more warmth) and he would probably agree that it is quite loud.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@marcos I did this exact thing and put a '70s Champ chassis into a custom-made Deluxe Reverb cabinet. The amp tech I took it to (Rich at Amplifiers Plus) let me do a little experiment. We ran the Champ into a couple of 10s in another cabinet and then into a single 12. We both agreed that of the speakers we had on hand, the two 10s suited the amp better. He made a new baffle and some spacers beside the chassis. It works great!

I have since bought a Deluxe Reverb which has got more use recently. I was considering selling the Champ, but when I put the two of them side by side, I couldn't part with it. They are both different but great. And despite the same cabinet size, the Champ is so much more portable even with two speakers... it's like a feather!

@greco has heard the amp (he helped me swap speakers to Alnico for a bit more warmth) and he would probably agree that it is quite loud.
Good to hear. Still on the lookout for a unloaded cab.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts