The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Nice, I like the red under coat peaking through.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Nice! I built one several years ago from a MIM 50's Strat. I then owned a relic'd Custom Shop Gilmour Strat. I could never bond with the Custom Shop model. It sounded brittle to me. I now use another MIM Strat, not to exact Gilmour specs, but changed out pots and caps, and a set of D. Allen Echoes pickups, and it's the best sounding Strat I've owned.

If you've already bought pickups, then ignore this, but if not, the Dimarzio FS-1 is a better choice for the bridge than the Duncan SSL-5 or 1c. Gilmour used the Dimarzio on Animals and the subsequent tour, and to me it has more character than the Duncan. If you want smooth, 80's - 90's Gilmour, go with the Duncan.

As for the mini toggle switch, it's a nice cosmetic touch, but functionally utterly useless. I never found a tone that was improved by using it.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
If you've already bought pickups, then ignore this, but if not, the Dimarzio FS-1 is a better choice for the bridge than the Duncan SSL-5 or 1c. Gilmour used the Dimarzio on Animals and the subsequent tour, and to me it has more character than the Duncan. If you want smooth, 80's - 90's Gilmour, go with the Duncan
Indeed, I read that the FS-1 was used on Animals and The Wall

That's what I put on my former "Gilmour Modded" American Standard

Fender American Standard Stratocaster 2001 2.JPG

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input on the pickups. I will be using this build as a test bed, so will definitely be trying different combinations out.

I finally had a few moments this week to put the cavity shielding in place, test fit the neck and install the correct bridge. I had no idea that there were umpteen variations on the Fender vintage tremolo and sustain blocks. On the plus side, I now have a small selection of them for future builds....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pickguard is now together. Acrylic, edge rounded down, not beveled. I still have to relic it and the knobs while still making it look natural.

Pickups and the stealth switch are in — tone cap will probably be swapped for a PIO and/or vintage one, close to getting everything soldered up

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts