The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in he country and have been bit by ‘em all. Bugs, that is. Deer flies and horse flies are especially nasty and leave you scratching like crazy.

So. If you get bit this summer, don’t bother with this commercial “after bite” junk. None work. Instead, just use Vick’s Vaporub. It’s probably in your medicine cabinet already anyway. Just put some on the stinging area and feel the relief....

I don’t know how or why it works but it does. Try it on your next bite and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
I bought some years ago hoping to convince my wife to rub it on me as they showed in the TV commercials.

Never happened. Nice to know I'll have a use for it now.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
That stuff works on "goose eggs" as well...my kid was running around and not looking where she was going and smacked her forehead on a railing hard enough to knock herself on her ass. While my wife ran to check on our kid my aunt made her way to the medicine cabinet to grab the Vick's and slathered some on where a giant welt was starting to swell on her forehead. Within five minutes you couldn't tell she'd just smacked her forehead and she was back to playing tag with her cousins.

We've used it a few other times since then with similar results...who'd have thunk?!

·
Registered
12,883 Posts
the trouble with vick's is, some folks can't handle it. the fumes burn my eyes.
i use a squirt of windex, and that works well for me

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
i haven't seen it, mostly because there is no swords or kung-fu in it. but i do know they filmed some of it right in toronto
Running joke throughout the movie: the father, proud opinionated Greek, used Windex for everything including medicine and tried to convince everyone else of its miraculous properties.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Windex works because of the ammonia in it (which is the active ingredient in Afterbite). Plain ammonia would do the trick too.
With the Vicks I guess it is the camphor and menthol that are doing the job (as topical analgesic). Plain menthol should work too.
Here's some other common treatments (with some unconventional thrown in, like meat tenderizer and raw potato)

15 Home Remedies for Bug Bites and Stings - For Mosquito Bites & More

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
Vicks is what works for me when I have a cold. I didn't know it worked on bug bites. I'll give it a try. I usually wash in cold water and then liberally apply Noxzema if the bites are that bad or there are lots of them. That has worked for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts