The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use GFS pickups by GuitarFetish.com for budget guitar projects? I was thinking of a pair of these for my Jaguar Blacktop HH. I can suffer from klutzitis, so I want to start low priced in case I bugger things up.

Dream 90 Black Bobbin with Nickel Case

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the guitar (phone pix) I am thinking about using them on....

Reactions: benjammin420

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
what's your budget? I'd suggest used duncan or dimarzio before GFS, mostly because I have no personal experience with GFS.

·
Registered
24,123 Posts
While one can't tell an enormous amount from the DC resistance of the coil, the model Dave/Greco describes seems to have been highly overwound, while the other ones linked to, at just over 8k, wouldpromise a more "open" sound, more compatible with what folks buy Fenders for.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had the money,..... I'd get these Vineham Hum Dogs. HB sized P90s - $190 Cdn per set.

They gotta look right on this guitar.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
They are good for budget...i have the mean 90 and a classic 67(i think) tele pickup...the dont sound terrible

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
You could buy just one for now to get you started.
I think I am going to order a Vineham Sweet 59 humbucker to see how much I like it before shelling out for a pair. A single pickup costs less than an inexpensive pedal so why not. The GFS stuff gives me the impression that it will ultimately just turn out to be money that should have been spent on something better in the first place.

TG

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I tried a set of similar (Bezdez/ebay) in a LP clone for a while. I pulled them out when a trade opportunity (guitar) came up. They're 8.0K/8.8K and were cheap.
White pearloid instead of black coil top. At the time I used stock 500K pots and .022 caps.
I guess I should get another mule for them and explore a little more thoroughly. Thanks for the reminder :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyone use GFS pickups by GuitarFetish.com for budget guitar projects? I was thinking of a pair of these for my Jaguar Blacktop HH. I can suffer from klutzitis, so I want to start low priced in case I bugger things up.

Dream 90 Black Bobbin with Nickel Case
I've had that one in 3 different guitars a Dot, an LP and a Washburn. Sounded absolutely creamy and you crank it up. Sold it in my last build and looking for another. Dealt with them for five years with no hassle's.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have a gfs dream 180 bridge pickup in a project guitar. Cool sounding pickup, sounds different than I expected, but can do some pretty cool lead stuff with it. Decent cleans, can handle gain well.

I bought the pickup when our dollar was on par and it made quite a difference in shipping costs etc. I would probably go the vineham route; just buy one pickup at a time.

·
Registered
24,123 Posts
Having made plenty of pickups for myself, I can say that it doesn't actually take all that much to make one, so they can be produced quite cheaply if they don't require exotic materials (e.g., custom magnets or polepieces, rare wire gauges, etc.). But then, I'm not aiming for any particular tonal target, and I don't have to worry about maintaining consistency. I try different things, using the materials available to me, and am generally varying degrees of happy with what I get in the end; sometimes less, sometimes more.

When you buy them from boutique makers, what you are generally paying for is the higher per-unit overhead costs of somebody who only does THAT for a living, and doesn't have a 5000sq ft facility with one machine operator per 6 winders to produce the thousands used on the budget guitars we see turning up on Kijiji daily. You are also paying for an identified tone that is a fairly close (if not identical) replica of a particular pickup, and that is consistently achieved. In contrast, the cheap ones have a form-factor, a mechanical and electrical reliability target, and that's pretty much it. Although form-factor can often be a powerful component in tone (single-coils will not sound like an HB, and Jazzmaster style will not sound like Strat style), sometimes they sound like what you were looking for, and sometimes not. And although Jay Abend (pres. of GFS) is a decent guy, and provides decent quality for the money, I doubt you'll see any mention of "scatter wind" on the GFS site.

I have little doubt that, for some players, and some models, installed on some guitars, the result will be "Where has this been all my life!". And for other players, the result will be "Not awful, but not what I was aiming/hoping for....but at least they didn't break the bank."

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Would likely save a bit on shipping Vineham Hum Dogs if I just saved $50 a month and order them once I have $200 if I decide to do so. Still waiting on string tree (thank you Mooh). Still have to tweak B string intonation.

·
Premium Member
5,072 Posts
Would likely save a bit on shipping Vineham Hum Dogs if I just saved $50 a month and order them once I have $200.
Vineham's listed prices include shipping if that helps any.

btw.....
I have a GFS "single coil in a humbucker format" bridge pickup I'll donate to your cause if you want to try one out. I don't think it has the open nickel cover though, it might be a closed nickel cover. (haven't looked at it for a while) Say the word, give me an address and it's yours.

·
Premium Member
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have a GFS "single coil in a humbucker format" bridge pickup I'll donate to your cause if you want to try one out. I don't think it has the open nickel cover though, it might be a closed nickel cover. (haven't looked at it for a while) Say the word, give me an address and it's yours.
I love this community. Will PM You.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I have 3 sets of GFS single coils over the years.
Love them, fat, loud and just the right amount of jangle for me.

I've also have a set of Retro'tron humbuckers (Liverpools) and they are freaky great when overdrive channel of my amp.

I've had 1 of their single coil sized lipsticks and that was ok. Just Ok.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts