The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question I'm posting just to satisify my own curiosity. It seems like bubinga wood is a fairly common wood for basses but I don't think I've ever seen a guitar made from bubinga wood and I'm wondering why that is? Is it because of the resonance of the wood or are there other factors at play? Thanks. :smile:

·
Registered
89 Posts
There are bubinga acoustics out there mainly only from handbuild outfits. They are visually stunning and sound quite good from what I hear. It is however a very difficult wood to work with. Very dense and it just laughs at sandpaper.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I knew there had to be a reason why it's not used more often. Thanks to you and Greenman for the info.

There are bubinga acoustics out there mainly only from handbuild outfits. They are visually stunning and sound quite good from what I hear. It is however a very difficult wood to work with. Very dense and it just laughs at sandpaper.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
What a gorgeous wood, but yeah, I've only ever seen it on basses. I had 2 Warwick Thumb basses in the early 90s. Natural finish that I would oil every month or so. Very nice.

It is a very nice wood indeed. Ed Roman is someone not to be listened to or trusted, but those are nice figured woods he's showing, though the last picture is a Warwick bass.

·
Registered
97 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts