The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember the days when you could cross the country on trains? Man, those were the days. Talk about a nice vacation as well. Back when CP Rail had the Northern heading up as far as Thunder Bay at one time. Then you could take the Ocean from Toronto all the way to Halifax on CN and then VIA for a while.

I think VIA is still making a portion of that run but it ai't what it used to be. Growing up I had an Uncle that lived way up North. About 3 hours north of Thunder Bay and then all the rest of my Mother's side on the east coast. So when we were kids we would head one place or the other and we always went by train. We would get one of those big rooms and the trip on that trian was the best part of the vacation for us. You even had those big dining cars and you would dress up for dinner, it was a big affair.

Most vacation travel today sucks... and airports are just getting worse and worse. I sure wish I could have taken my kids on those trips before it all vanished. We would spend hours in those dome cars just looking at the scenery. Hope some of you had the chance to do that.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
They used to ship cargo by trains too. Now the roads are full of trucks and they wreck havoc on the roads.......

·
Registered
585 Posts
I might be going on a trip on the train with my girlfiend. Might head to Canada's Wonderland. Damn that place is fun. Also on another note, if I dont get a job within the next month, Im going to bike across Canada and raise funds for things like Asthma, ADHD, Autism and GAS (Not really but it would be nice).

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
"Give me money" - Nigel

Yeah, trains were great but there's a reason they're not used as much as before. They cost more!

First off, forget about passenger travel. Railroads haven't made money off passengers for years, at least here in North America. The real money comes from freight. You have to make enough freight money to subsidize your passenger trains.

So why is most freight shipped by truck or whatever? Because train costs more and is more unreliable. Your stuff can get lost easier.

Everybody sees the logical first step. Use trains for the long haul stuff and once it gets to the city THEN use trucks to hit all the spread out end points! It would cut down pollution, highway congestion, dogs and cats would sleep together, save the unborn baby seals from drunk drivers...

I never hear anyone talk about WHY it isn't happening! If rail could be so great there must be some reasons why it's not being used.

So the real question is not where the trains have gone but why they're not an attractive venue.

I don't know all the reasons but I do know that one of my buddies in the 70's used to get HUGE bucks for walking the rails in Northern Ontario, eyeballing track as a safety inspector. I also remember when the railroads were gov't run. Everytime the gov't tried to rein in labour costs it was strike, strike and strike.

The unions always won. I'm not saying that the problem was solely the unions. Doesn't matter. The rest of the world went their own way anyhow. That's the thing about customers. They're not union and not management. They can walk away from both of them.

·
Registered
526 Posts
We don't even have train tracks anymore!
I loved taking the train from St. John's to visit my grandparents the couple of times I did it as a kid. When myself and my wife were in Europe we travelled by train and it was awesome. I don't know why it works there and doesn't here. the passes are insanely expensive in north america.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
thats one good thing about Japan...they have excellent train services. I use it every week to go to a pulp and paper factory to teach the staff. And the bullet train is just so cool. About 2 hours to Tokyo, it`s like flying without leaving the ground.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
I love train travel.
I have to go to Montreal (from Toronto) for business a couple of times a year and I'm always lobbying to do it by train. This spring I had to do it twice and we took the train both times. You get to relax, read, make cell calls, no take off tension, internet is available on most trains now, and have a nap. Generally the architecture of the stations is fabulous so I'm digging that. I do wish it was cheaper however, and I wish we weren't always in such a hurry to get someplace. Also scheduling is a problem. I live outside the GTA, (about an hour and a half) and work in the city. Generally I stay in TO all week and go home on the weekends. The VIA trains that stop in my town only do that till about 7pm. Which means I have to leave Toronto by 5:30. Well let me tell you number of nights I'm finished work by 5:30 in a year I could count on one hand.
Cheers
Pete

·
Premium Member
16,563 Posts
sneakypete said:
thats one good thing about Japan...they have excellent train services. I use it every week to go to a pulp and paper factory to teach the staff. And the bullet train is just so cool. About 2 hours to Tokyo, it`s like flying without leaving the ground.
Shinkansen rocks for sure. You don't fully appreciate how fast you're moving until you encounter another train on the adjacent track travelling in the opposite direction.

Trains usd to b a cool way to travel in Canada, but the distances are just too vast and the cost is ridiculous.

It takes something like twenty hours to get from New Brunswick to Toronto (thirteen hours if you drive) and costs more than a flight.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I took the train back from oakville once and there was a screaming baby behind me, so I started watching the 40 yr old virgin, and she told me to turn it off because it had swearing so, i told her to turn her baby off.:2guns:

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Xanadu said:
I took the train back from oakville once and there was a screaming baby behind me, so I started watching the 40 yr old virgin, and she told me to turn it off because it had swearing so, i told her to turn her baby off.:2guns:
LOL Forgot your headphones???

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
faracaster said:
LOL Forgot your headphones???
yes. Actually, I did. I also forgot my guitar, but luckily my parents were still in Oakville and they came back to Ottawa, about a week later.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bring back the trains

I was very lucky growing up. My dad was a 'railroader' with CN. On many occaisions I had ridden in a caboose, as we(mom&I)would take the caboose on dad's freight and get dropped off at the graineries in mom's old home town. A couple of days later dad would be coming back from the other way, pick us up and we'd ride the caboose home. It was fantastic. When dad became an engineer in '73. I'd meet him at one of the outlying crossings and ride in the engine's cab. Of course this was not allowed and I'm sure there would be hell to pay if the CN officials ever found out.
In 1969 my parents put on the train and sent me to west coast to spend the summer with family. There probably were crew on board who were looking out for me, but I didn't know. The dome car through the rockies is spectacular. This was just the beginning of a summer of eye opening adventure.
This country came together with a railroad. There should be a service coast to coast. You fly you miss so much. :smilie_flagge17:

·
Premium Member
16,563 Posts
MaxWedge said:
I was very lucky growing up. My dad was a 'railroader' with CN. On many occaisions I had ridden in a caboose, as we(mom&I)would take the caboose on dad's freight and get dropped off at the graineries in mom's old home town. A couple of days later dad would be coming back from the other way, pick us up and we'd ride the caboose home. It was fantastic. When dad became an engineer in '73. I'd meet him at one of the outlying crossings and ride in the engine's cab. Of course this was not allowed and I'm sure there would be hell to pay if the CN officials ever found out.
In 1969 my parents put on the train and sent me to west coast to spend the summer with family. There probably were crew on board who were looking out for me, but I didn't know. The dome car through the rockies is spectacular. This was just the beginning of a summer of eye opening adventure.
This country came together with a railroad. There should be a service coast to coast. You fly you miss so much. :smilie_flagge17:

It IS a beautiful way to travel and you do see more, but let's face it, it takes five hours to fly from Toronto to Vancouver. By train it must be, what three days?

This is a big assed country. Maybe if we had bullet trains like those in Europe and Japan.....

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Milkman said:
It IS a beautiful way to travel and you do see more, but let's face it, it takes five hours to fly from Toronto to Vancouver. By train it must be, what three days?

This is a big assed country. Maybe if we had bullet trains like those in Europe and Japan.....
yeah, It takes half an hour to get from ottawa to toronto on a plane and 5 hours on a train.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
MaxWedge said:
so you like to ride in the caboose eh? That's cool ;)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
1/ hr by plane? You were lucky! We had to walk...

1/2 hour by plane from Toronto to Ottawa?

If you live by Hamilton where I do it's 1/2 hr in the air and 5 hrs driving through a clogged QEW highway, getting parked at the airport and fighting through all the crowds...

I used to fly to Point Claire, Quebec once in a while. I literally spend more time driving than flying.

All this talk about Japan, bullet trains and stuff makes it sound like Canada is kinda "horse and buggy".

·
Premium Member
16,563 Posts
Wild Bill said:
1/2 hour by plane from Toronto to Ottawa?

If you live by Hamilton where I do it's 1/2 hr in the air and 5 hrs driving through a clogged QEW highway, getting parked at the airport and fighting through all the crowds...

I used to fly to Point Claire, Quebec once in a while. I literally spend more time driving than flying.

All this talk about Japan, bullet trains and stuff makes it sound like Canada is kinda "horse and buggy".

Canada IS horse and buggy compared to Japan and Europe.

As for the 5 hrs driving on the QEW, that may be an exaggeration.

Even if I drive to pearson from Brantford (twenty minutes farther than Hamilton) it's an hour and a half under the absolute worst conditions.

Then say you're landing at PET in Montreal, you may have an hour getting through town so the absolute worst case would be 2.5 hours plus the 45 minute flight.

It would take 6 hours to drive or seven to train to Montreal.

It's ALWAYS faster to fly and safer than driving.

Trains are nice, but ours suck.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts