The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in advance.

If you plan on getting out to watch, choose your location carefully and be safe. In most regions of the country, simply getting outside of your local community is typically good enough. For those living in southwestern Ontario and the GTA, areas north of Stratford, Guelph and Orangeville tend to be good for viewing, as are those areas to the east of Lake Simcoe and north of Peterborough (the shores of Georgian Bay usually provide excellent viewing!).

Provincial parks are an excellent resource for skywatching, even if you have to stick to the parking lot at night.

As always with these events, give your eyes some time to adjust to the dark - 30-40 minutes typically - or you will likely miss out on it. Avoid all bright sources of light - streetlights, car headlights, cellphone screens & camera flashes, etc - during that time, then look up and to the north to potentially see the auroras.

Bright solar flare brings promise of auroras across Canada

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
I wish I could be in the right zone for the big eclipse coming up

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
It was a little cloudy last night, but even through the clear bits I couldn't see anything except a bit of lightening once in a while

·
Registered
24,696 Posts
I think virtually every celestial event of note over the last few years has coincided with overcast days here.

So, I peeked through the curtains at 2:00AM when my kidney meds woke me up, but nuthin. Just clouds.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I got up a couple times to look. Couldn't see anything. Maybe too much light pollution.

·
Premium Member
5,311 Posts
we usually see the northern lights quite well from the Edmonton area......in the winter time. In the summer, we don't get a lot of darkness. It doesn't get dark until 11:00 pm and it's getting light again by 4:00 am.
Add light pollution to that and it gets pretty tricky to see anything. And then the clouds...... like @mhammer said, every celestial event is automatically obscured by clouds. That's a given.

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
I used to hop on my Ninja and take a ride 30 minutes north, when I lived in Calgary, to watch the annual meteor showers. I've never tried to drive out past the light pollution here. And chances are, by the time I got that far away, I would be into forest fire smoke. :(

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
It was clear here last night and I stepped out several times but saw nothing but clear night skies and the milky way.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Between Oregon and South Carolina there is a 65 mile wide perfect spot to be guaranteed the full eclipse. It will only be a partial up here

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Must be nice to see the Milky Way. I haven't seen it in about 20 years. It's been that long since I was anywhere dark enough :(
I just moved back here to Minto about 1 1/2 years ago. It was one of the first things I noticed when I moved back. We were out at night and I looked up and there in all its glory it stood out like I remember as a kid. I have seen it a few other times when skiing and fishing but it's nice to be able to see it any time I want.

Reactions: leftysg

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
I lived in Innisfil for about 5 years driving back and forth at 2am and of all those years I only saw the Aurora twice.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Nothing but clouds here last night. I was rather disappointed, but light pollution probably would have made it impossible to see anyway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts