The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How will I know when my caps are fully broken in?

The following is from the internet.

I have tried a lot of caps; NOS paper in oil, new production paper in oil, Film, mylar and ceramic. From very cheap ceramic cap USD.5 to very high end Jensen USD100, what I really like is Vitamin Q. It gives more harmonic, clarity, dynamic, warm in natural way.
But it needs a lot of hours to break in, 1-200 hours of playing and more.

People that suggest Sprague Orange drops just haven't experienced the magic that is within esoteric vintage caps.
It really is a revelation to hear a 1920's Kriptz Red Baron at around $1800 !
Breathtaking, full, smooth, detailed, poise, balance, authority, intimate and sublime but needs a break in period of around 7 to 8 years to really begin to open up.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I find that there's a greater difference between the quality of air for my truck's tires at Canadian Tire, Esso or Shell as opposed to the difference between makers of different caps.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
How will I know when my caps are fully broken in?

The following is from the internet.

I have tried a lot of caps; NOS paper in oil, new production paper in oil, Film, mylar and ceramic. From very cheap ceramic cap USD.5 to very high end Jensen USD100, what I really like is Vitamin Q. It gives more harmonic, clarity, dynamic, warm in natural way.
But it needs a lot of hours to break in, 1-200 hours of playing and more.

People that suggest Sprague Orange drops just haven't experienced the magic that is within esoteric vintage caps.
It really is a revelation to hear a 1920's Kriptz Red Baron at around $1800 !
Breathtaking, full, smooth, detailed, poise, balance, authority, intimate and sublime but needs a break in period of around 7 to 8 years to really begin to open up.
Further down the page:
“My previous post regarding Kriptz Red Baron caps was just me being sarcastic as usual.....my apologies”

·
Registered
24,366 Posts
Caps can be complex things, with more measurable characteristics than simply how many microfarads of capacitance they present and their voltage rating. CAN they have an impact on sound? Probably.

But here's the thing so many forget/neglect. The historical/received wisdom in audiophile circles regarding caps is all about the impact of capacitor varieties on very wide bandwidth high-fidelity reproduction of multi-source program material, where tons of harmonics have to be mentally assigned by the listener to one of what might be 80 different sound sources in an orchestra, listened to through electrostatic speakers, powered by a 300W McIntosh or Crown amp, in an ideal listening environment. Is there anything in common between that context and the treble-cut on ONE humbucker-equipped guitar plugged into a guitar amp whose speakers roll off quickly above 6khz, and is set to overdrive, on a small club stage?

·
Premium Member
17,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greco, where did you find that?
That 7 or 8 year break in is pretty funny.
See posts 9 & 10...
different capacitors

Red Baron caps...
https://www.amazon.ca/Baron-0-47-Guitar-Tone-Capacitor/dp/B00G23MGYM

upload_2018-1-22_9-15-0.png

Red Baron 0.47 Guitar Tone Capacitor 400V

by Warhorse Guitars

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Product description
New 0.47 red baron guitar tone capacitor. 400v classic tone. 2 per pack. R C Guitars verdict: In my opinion these caps tread on the orange drop i have been using them for years and years and installed them on more than a thousand guitars. They really change the tone quality and even out the rough edges to give a bit more "cream".What you see is what you get! 2 x 0.047uf capacitors

My reason for starting this thread...^)@# and :D

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
See posts 9 & 10...
different capacitors

https://www.amazon.ca/Baron-0-47-Guitar-Tone-Capacitor/dp/B00G23MGYM

View attachment 162713

Red Baron 0.47 Guitar Tone Capacitor 400V

by Warhorse Guitars

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Product description
New 0.47 red baron guitar tone capacitor. 400v classic tone. 2 per pack. R C Guitars verdict: In my opinion these caps tread on the orange drop i have been using them for years and years and installed them on more than a thousand guitars. They really change the tone quality and even out the rough edges to give a bit more "cream".What you see is what you get! 2 x 0.047uf capacitors

My reason for starting this thread...^)@# and :D
I get it. But the guy was being facetious, which restored some of my faith in humanity.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts