The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,818 Posts
I once used bicycle break cable as a strings on a bass. Sounded like flat wound strings. Very soft attach and warm sustain. Hard on the fingers though. Ahhh to be young and crazy again...

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
When I was in high school, I wore my strings out so badly that I actually wore out the windings on the core. It was an old harmony was crazy high action. We can all imagine how badly that sounded and played...but I was living on my own on student assistance...NO cash

·
Registered
662 Posts
I usually buy the L&M house strings when I don't feel like spending a lot on new strings for beater guitars. They cost about $4 a pack and I'm almost positive they're either GHS or D'addario rebranded strings; they're a dead ringer for the $8 Pack of GHS boomers.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I bought a Dubro EZ Twist haywire twist tool to make double-ball strings, but I haven't actually tried using it. I've read you can do a haywire twist by hand.

A lot of guitar parts started as bits from fishing tackle, motorcycles, and hobby trains.

I'll bet the fishermen have something specific for mending broken leaders.

·
Registered
14,555 Posts
I thought this might be in reference to a nylon string guitar & nylon fishing line...

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
A person could get "hooked" on guitars doing that.

·
Registered
14,555 Posts
When I was in high school my Mom asked if I had a spare guitar string--she was using a cheese slicer to prepare for guests--and the wire broke.
She said she'd replace it--I gave her a spare high E string--& when she put it on the slicer (One of those ones that look like the old style paper cutters) she left the ball end attached.
It looked cool.

P

·
0 Posts
A friend of mine was very broke many years ago... He built his first guitar so he had one to play.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts