The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Frenchy99's beauty NGD post, I thought I'd ask here, how many folks really dig the brass nuts and if you've considered replacing with tusq or bone if any have been problematic?
I've an 80's non "G" 335 beater I'm working on that's missing its original brass nut, should I go for a new brass nut or stick with what I've had good fortune with (tusq) ? ( 1.675")
Cheers !!

·
Registered
24,380 Posts
Once you fret a string, the nut material is...well...immaterial. So if you use open strings a lot, feel free to experiment with a brass nut. If open strings aren't a big part of your playing, then brass is simply adding weight to the headstock (which could be useful in some circumstances, I suppose). Additionally, you can buy precut nuts with other materials, but I have yet to see precut brass nuts at L&M or similar places. Bottom line: not a terrible thing, but may be a nuisance for very little sonic gain.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
My 2015 Firebird came with a brass nut and the guitar sounds good on open chords so Im not itchin to replace it although the brass apparently wears out such that Gibson will send a titanium nut no charge if you ask for one. I need get that before they are no longer available but I will never get round to it.

Electric guitar with a bunch of pedals and shit I don’t see a brass nut as being all that big a deal in the total mix. I wouldn’t cross the street to get one but the guitar came with one as part of its adjustable nut height rig although I still had to file the G slot as it was too high... the screws adjust total nut height but not the individual slots.

My 2015 LP Jr the previous owner swapped the brass nut out for nylon and ditched the robo snapper tuners.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Brass nuts were stock on Gibson Victories. Have one on my Vic Standard bass. Love it, but yeah it only makes a diff for open strings.

Hasn't worn down at all - there was some issue with the recent ones like on @Wardo ’s that i can’t recall the details of right now that doesnt apply to mine which is simpler - just like any other nut but machined from a billet of brass.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Yeah i can’t see a standard brass nut wearing out anytime soon.

On the 2015s the strings are riding on a piece that’s about 1mm wide and the middle of the nut is routed out so that they can put two Allen screws in there to adjust height on each side.

I think the wear issue was related the to robo tuners sawing back and forth a lot. FB doesn’t have robo tuners but I can see grooves getting into the brass on the wound strings and the guitar isn’t that old was bought new this year been hanging on the wall at Cosmo since 2015.

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
My Iceman has a half brass/half bone nut--never had an issue with it--but also never noticed much of a difference either.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Personnaly. I try to stick with what is original on the guitar if no moods is listed as an improvement. As for a brass nut, would really have a hard time understanding how one would wear out ? :eek: (I've seen some that were Groved deeper from previous owners but manually with fret buzz as a result )

If the guitar came with a brass nut I would replace with a brass nut since most of the time , the rest of the hardware would match ( gold tuners. Ect. ..) in the 80's brass was very popular.

·
Premium Member
3,343 Posts
I think the wear issue was related the to robo tuners sawing back and forth a lot.
Gibson would send out replacements drop in titanium nuts for the 2015’s, but I think that’s over now.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
I have a Vantage guitar with a brass nut and brass saddles. It sounds great but I have no idea what difference the brass makes because I've never tried the same guitar without the brass. I would think the saddles make more of a difference than the nut.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a Tusq spare, using it for now but , per Frenchy99 comment, indeed this is an early 80's. I'll probably order one as it might be nice to get nearer original, providing I can cut it nicely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts