The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a boutique amp?

I know that Bad Cat, Fuchs, Two Rock, Dr. Z, Peters etc are all considered boutique but what really defines them as such?

Price point?

Some consider the HW Marshalls the same. But I think the company is too big, and boutiquism is partually defined by the size of the company. They need to be smaller and have a smaller line of amps.

Build process? Mass producing definately disqualifies you. But then you would think the PCB based amps could disqualify them. But alot of the PCB based guys have their board built outside but mount all the components on the boards manually so they are still considered boutique.

etc etc ...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd say it means low production volumes, as well as implying very mindful build quality and possibly also custom options.

I actually try to avoid using the word as much as possible. These days there are so many handmade amps by mfgs making them in low production volumes, I'm pretty sure most people don't have to be told of the concept. :)

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
You can talk with or email and get a reply from the guy whose name is on the amp. I emailed Andy Fuchs about the attenuator that was under development. He replied and explained in detail why it behind schedule.

·
Registered
141 Posts
bou·tique Audio pronunciation of "boutique" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (b-tk)
n.

- A small retail shop that specializes in gifts, fashionable clothes, accessories, or food, for example.
- A small shop located within a large department store or supermarket.
2. A small business offering specialized products and services: an investment boutique; a health-care boutique.

I go for defn 2. The fact that the price can be high is a function of this business model no?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts