The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is so going to kill me.

I was thinking of buying a replacement set of pickups for my 5 stringer, but after wiring the pickups straight to the output jack, the tone and volume is enough to rip your head off so I'll leave them be for now.

Ordered this yesterday...

Should be here Monday or Tuesday. Couple of quick mods and it should be ready to rock next Friday night. (Assuming of course, my wife signs for the order when Fed Ex arrives). :D

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
:mad: two basses in a month?? well congrats:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bass showed up on Tuesday but I've had a busy week. Swapped out the bridge and pots/capaciter. Still need to set it up a bit better for tonight's gig, but this thing rocks just like the 5'er.

:rockon:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
nice looking bass..it's a real pretty colour <3

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xanadu said:
nice looking bass..it's a real pretty colour <3
Thanks. The blue gets a big thumbs up from the girls (my daughters) for looking pretty. Not sure pretty was what I was looking for though. :D A tort guard should make it look nice and old school.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bucky said:
How much has customs charged you to have them shipped across the border?
Total cost billed by Rondo was $205 US for the 5 and $195 US for the 4. That includes shipping, handling, tax, duty etc... With the current currency conversion, it's one helluva deal. A few upgrades, and I estimate each bass cost me between $300-$350 CAN, and they kick the crap out of a MIM Fender!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those are 2 nice basses bro. Ive been thinking about getting a jazz 4 string copy from Rondo for a while, but haven't yet. I heard that they're charging some ungodly amount for shipping now though? It says in their eBay auctions that shipping to canada is like $115 or $120 american, is that true? Even if that does include duty, that's still a little crazy if you ask me. How much was the shipping you paid compaired to the cost of you basses?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RadioDaze said:
Those are 2 nice basses bro. Ive been thinking about getting a jazz 4 string copy from Rondo for a while, but haven't yet. I heard that they're charging some ungodly amount for shipping now though? It says in their eBay auctions that shipping to canada is like $115 or $120 american, is that true? Even if that does include duty, that's still a little crazy if you ask me. How much was the shipping you paid compaired to the cost of you basses?
Order through the Rondo website, not Ebay. Do up a dummy order, type in your address, ship to Canada etc... and it will show you the exact cost of shipping. There are no other fees involved after the bass is shipped - what it shows on the order screen is exactly what you pay - trust me, I've ordered twice in the last couple months.
The 4 string was $119US and the total shipped cost was $195US which included $40 duty & taxes, and $35 shipping. Shipping to BC will obviously be a bit more, but not much. Someone on here is from Yellowknife and he has at least 4 SX's.

I estimate the 5 string cost me $330 CAN for the bass, as well as goodies I bought from Ted at GuitarPartsCanada - HeavyDuty bridge, pick guard, pots, capaciter, jack, knobs. This bass kicks the crap out of a MIM jazz bass which go for over $600 for a five string, and when it costs me barely $200 in the first place, I don't mind modding it up and playing around.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just rec'ed my SX SJB LTD1 today,, real quilted maple top (not photo flamed) and deluxe case,,, total shipped to my door was $297 can...

and the tone is incredible... !!

great fathers day gift eh??

·
Registered
68 Posts
wrong model # :),, should be SBG LTD1 Jazz with pearloid wbw pickguard and rosewood fret board..
future plans I hope will be doing a J-retro mod..
If I can't afford that,, I certainily want to swap out the pots and jack.. and the bridge, and then the pups,, and.... LOL

it will probably be an ongoing project as money allows.. but it is pretty sweet as it is...

I had it a practice Friday nite, really great practice too. and got alot of compliments on the voices I could coax from it..

It will debut live at an outdoor concert July 1 in Sauble Beach...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, you've convinced me. I just ordered the 5 string Stingray copy. I'm stoked, it looks like a pretty sweet first bass.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BHarris said:
wrong model # :),, should be SBG LTD1 Jazz with pearloid wbw pickguard and rosewood fret board..
future plans I hope will be doing a J-retro mod..
If I can't afford that,, I certainily want to swap out the pots and jack.. and the bridge, and then the pups,, and.... LOL

it will probably be an ongoing project as money allows.. but it is pretty sweet as it is...

I had it a practice Friday nite, really great practice too. and got alot of compliments on the voices I could coax from it..

It will debut live at an outdoor concert July 1 in Sauble Beach...
If you're looking for a Canadian connection for some parts, you can check out http://www.guitarpartscanada.com. Ted posts once in awhile here, and he had everything I needed for the mods on both my jazzes. (Does this plug get me a discount next time around Ted?)

BTW - my modded 5 stringer is still for sale so I can start another project if anyone's intersted.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bucky said:
Well, you've convinced me. I just ordered the 5 string Stingray copy. I'm stoked, it looks like a pretty sweet first bass.
I know a few guys over at HCBF with these already and so far it sounds quite positive for these MM copies.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't ordered the pick guard yet for the blue bass. I will in the near future. I'm still checking to see if anyone wants my 5 string - if so, I'll be buying a bunch more stuff for the next mod. Want to keep to one order if I can.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts