The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a guitar I really really wanted. Price was decent…but it was being shipped from Japan.

When it arrived, the box was torn open on the side. I thought the guitar would be in rough shape. Amazingly, the only issue is the paint on the headstock, which I’m not sure has anything to do with the condition of the box.

String instrument Azure String instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

The seller shipped in the gig bag, some bubble wrap and the original Fender box only. Needless to say, FedEx determined that the packaging was inadequate and would not compensate.

I can return it for a refund, or they have offered a whopping $50 off if I wish to keep it.

The damage is very minor and could easily happen on an afternoon playing in the house. BUT…I paid for a new/mint guitar. Am I being unreasonable if I return it?

Help!

· Registered
8,372 Posts
Unless I was feeling some sort of buyers remorse I'd take the $50 and keep it.
I agree. The fact that you have to magnify it and circle in red just to notice it. Of course I'm someone that isn't anal about things like this and I understand its important to many others to not have a single mark on their guitars.
This isn't something you can really ask us here on a forum. Why should you care how others would feel about this. Its your guitar, its about how you feel and whether you can live with it or not.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My two cents... take the $50 and keep it. Are you really going to return it to Japan? Yikes.

Disappointing, definitely. But it is a minor cosmetic issue.
FWIW, the seller is covering the shipping if I return it.

Yeah, ultimately it’s my decision and I need to be comfortable with it. Part of it is on principle….I believe that this was a “flaw” that had nothing to do with the shipping.

Am I anal? Yes…. Am I anal enough to think the marks are a big deal? Probably not. 😁

· Premium Member
23,170 Posts
It looks like a repairable problem. Is that nitro or poly?

Either way, I think you could do a little light sanding and then apply a little of whichever it is with a small brush to seal it up, then more sanding and / or buffing.

· Premium Member
1,319 Posts
That really is nothing to worry about, but I'd say that was most likely a Fender B-stock, especially if you got it for cheaper than MSRP. Fender seems to sell nearly as many B-stocks with minor flaws as they do flawless, and retailers can put a discount. Whether they disclose it as a b-stock or not is up to them. If it bothers you, email the serial number to Fender, and see if thats the case. If so, ask for a bigger discount.

· Premium Member
6,677 Posts
For me, if I'm happy with the way the guitar plays, those little cosmetic issues are nothing.
If you want to go to the trouble of sending it back and finding another one that is 'perfect' then do it. I am assuming here that most of the people here won't be bothered by those so called 'flaws'.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m not that annoyed by the paint (although it does look worse depending on the light). I’m more annoyed that it was probably there before it left Japan. I’m more annoyed by the fact that they’re offering me $50, when the shipping cost back to them is definitely more costly. I’m a man of principles 😂

That being said, I’m going to keep it. More hassle to box it up and send it back I suppose. I will leave feedback accordingly. You shouldn’t be shipping guitars overseas in a gig bag and a single cardboard box. FedEx and I agree on that!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts