The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ecstasy 101B to replace my Soldano SLO and as great as the Soldano amps are...I was a little sceptical and taken back on how to dial the XTC amp in because you can't set it up the same way as you set up other amps especially the EQ's, but once you take some time to learn how to use it I gotta say the Bogner is so much better and more verstile in spades and the tone is absolutely awesome. The Green clean channel is working great i really like the sounds you can get out of it, tons of spanky crystal glassy highs and great low end. I don't know what the negative comments are about the Green channel from those that don't like it.. I guess its what you like for your own sound. The Blue Channel is excellent there is so much you can get out of this from classic rock to 80's metal and probably more... The Red channel is capable of classic rock tones but thats what the blue channel is for, this channel is for Metal and for solo's very fluid and easy to play, sustains just as well or better than my SLO and without the low register buzzyness as well!! I came home from work yesterday for lunch and played for about an hour and let me say it was hard to turn it off and go back to work for the rest of the day. The Bogner 101B is an extemely well thought out and as near to perfection in a high gain amp with channel switching. I think now believe the hype on the Ecstasy because it will probably make a believer out of anyone if you get the chance. 2 of my net friends also within the last week have picked them up as well and feel the same way I do. Just thought I would share to those interested in the amp, check it out!:rockon:

·
Registered
76 Posts
northern1 said:
Ecstasy 101B to replace my Soldano SLO and as great as the Soldano amps are...I was a little sceptical and taken back on how to dial the XTC amp in because you can't set it up the same way as you set up other amps especially the EQ's, but once you take some time to learn how to use it I gotta say the Bogner is so much better and more verstile in spades and the tone is absolutely awesome. The Green clean channel is working great i really like the sounds you can get out of it, tons of spanky crystal glassy highs and great low end. I don't know what the negative comments are about the Green channel from those that don't like it.. I guess its what you like for your own sound. The Blue Channel is excellent there is so much you can get out of this from classic rock to 80's metal and probably more... The Red channel is capable of classic rock tones but thats what the blue channel is for, this channel is for Metal and for solo's very fluid and easy to play, sustains just as well or better than my SLO and without the low register buzzyness as well!! I came home from work yesterday for lunch and played for about an hour and let me say it was hard to turn it off and go back to work for the rest of the day. The Bogner 101B is an extemely well thought out and as near to perfection in a high gain amp with channel switching. I think now believe the hype on the Ecstasy because it will probably make a believer out of anyone if you get the chance. 2 of my net friends also within the last week have picked them up as well and feel the same way I do. Just thought I would share to those interested in the amp, check it out!:rockon:
Hey Ian,

Congrats! Where did you end up buying your XTC 101b from?

FYI... use a hotplate to crank the XTC up a bit... bleed off about -8db
or -12db to get the XTC in the sweet zone. I did that when I had the
XTC and it sounded -great-. Also, the front end takes OD pedals well,
so you can try a volume boost. Although the XTC has so many bloody
boost switches already, you won't really need it, however the pedals
will color the sound and add a different overall texture once you get
bored with the XTC sound out of the box.

I found at low volumes, the XTC had a muffled sound... like a cloth over
the speakers sound. Notes and harmonics just didn't leap out of the
amp, like they do from a splawn quick rod as an example.

I agree, the XTC dominates over the SLO for versatility and tone though.
However, there is something to be said for a 'simple' amp like the SLO
when it comes to maintenance. Just peak into the XTC and you'll see
what I mean - a whole lot of circuitry to debug if something goes wrong.

I have resolved myself to a 2 amp A/B setup... since you can't get
'everything' from a single amp. The clean channel on the XTC is 'good'.
It's not excellent... it doesn't have the glassy texture like you would
hear from a Fender deluxe. Unfortunately the clean channel on the XTC
doesn't take to OD pedals well.

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase. You'll get lots of hours logged
enjoying the tone and features of the XTC. At least the wife will be
happy that the search is now over. :wink:

Cheers!:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kruts said:
Hey Ian,

Congrats! Where did you end up buying your XTC 101b from?

FYI... use a hotplate to crank the XTC up a bit... bleed off about -8db
or -12db to get the XTC in the sweet zone. I did that when I had the
XTC and it sounded -great-. Also, the front end takes OD pedals well,
so you can try a volume boost. Although the XTC has so many bloody
boost switches already, you won't really need it, however the pedals
will color the sound and add a different overall texture once you get
bored with the XTC sound out of the box.

I found at low volumes, the XTC had a muffled sound... like a cloth over
the speakers sound. Notes and harmonics just didn't leap out of the
amp, like they do from a splawn quick rod as an example.

I agree, the XTC dominates over the SLO for versatility and tone though.
However, there is something to be said for a 'simple' amp like the SLO
when it comes to maintenance. Just peak into the XTC and you'll see
what I mean - a whole lot of circuitry to debug if something goes wrong.

I have resolved myself to a 2 amp A/B setup... since you can't get
'everything' from a single amp. The clean channel on the XTC is 'good'.
It's not excellent... it doesn't have the glassy texture like you would
hear from a Fender deluxe. Unfortunately the clean channel on the XTC
doesn't take to OD pedals well.

Anyway, congratulations on your purchase. You'll get lots of hours logged
enjoying the tone and features of the XTC. At least the wife will be
happy that the search is now over. :wink:

Cheers!:food-smiley-004:
Hey! I got it from a guy here in Canada!!
I have thought about going to a 2 amp set up numerous times but just haven't bothered due to the maintainence and moving the stuff around.
I am really enjoying the Bogner alot there is so much versatility its crazy,
the channels are all very different but all usable and tweakable as well then you have the boosts which is really cool! I have used hotplates in the past and found they suck some of the natural sound of the amp away, plus I am near deaf anyway so to tone it down isn't required LOL! So far it is doing it all great, all other high gain channel switchers I have owned (which is alot) have something missing in the tone on at least one of the channels but not with the Ecstasy. I owned 3 Splawns in the past 1 ProMod, 1 QuickRod and the Marshall Plexi modded by Splawn and the best one was the Marshall of the 3, the 2 others were good amps but missing something the Marshall version had a sweetness or a sizzle the others didn't have. I noticed there was a QR in Snakeskin was that yours forsale? Merry Christmas, take care.
:rockon: :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
76 Posts
northern1 said:
Hey! I got it from a guy here in Canada!!
I have thought about going to a 2 amp set up numerous times but just haven't bothered due to the maintainence and moving the stuff around.
I am really enjoying the Bogner alot there is so much versatility its crazy,
the channels are all very different but all usable and tweakable as well then you have the boosts which is really cool! I have used hotplates in the past and found they suck some of the natural sound of the amp away, plus I am near deaf anyway so to tone it down isn't required LOL! So far it is doing it all great, all other high gain channel switchers I have owned (which is alot) have something missing in the tone on at least one of the channels but not with the Ecstasy. I owned 3 Splawns in the past 1 ProMod, 1 QuickRod and the Marshall Plexi modded by Splawn and the best one was the Marshall of the 3, the 2 others were good amps but missing something the Marshall version had a sweetness or a sizzle the others didn't have. I noticed there was a QR in Snakeskin was that yours forsale? Merry Christmas, take care.
:rockon: :food-smiley-004:
Ya, I had the QR in snakeskin for sale on ebay and then pulled it. I've decided to keep it for the time being until I make up my mind on what I need for my band. I got some amazing results from the QR lately and have noticed that the guitar and cabinet have a lot to do with tone, not just the amp. I see that you have a Tom Anderson in your pics... how do you like that guitar? I had a TA before and just couldn't get used to the pickups/tone from it (it was a drop top), I eventually sold it to someone in Spain of all places.

I've been looking at the roccaforte, mojave, and metroamp line of amps, yup mostly non-MV amps at this point. I particularly am interested in the metroamp 12xxx series 1968 plexi kit, but haven't had the time nor energy to search out all the parts needed to build it. Mojave has a recent sale, but I think the resale value of peacemakers is terrible, which I factor in my purchase in case I don't like the amp and need to sell it (which you know quite well, being a gearhead).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts