The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Hi. Just sharing my experience with the Boss WL series. 3 of us in our band use the WL-50 system. every now and then we get signal drop offs and when we were using them initially we would experience signal crossing over to each others amp. The signal drop outs were very sporadic though and would sometime be very annoying. We found a remedy for the signal crossover by powering our systems one after the other so it would actually scan a signal thats open and then connect. Then the next guy will turn his system on, and then the next etc.

However we had a very bad experience when we opened for a major band at the Massey Theatre in New Westminster BC. We could not get a solid signal and our systems kept dropping (during soundcheck). No cross overs though, but the signal drop off was bad to a point were we just ditched the wireless systems and just decided to use cables.

Also i could not use my system at home due to the proximity of my pedalboard to our wireless Modem, the signal is very problematic.

Cheers!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hmm, check out this review/ demo of the ZXK CO 5.8GHz unit I linked above:
Assuming the Carparelli model is just a rebranded version, its pretty impressive!!

·
Premium Member
3,946 Posts
Hi. Just sharing my experience with the Boss WL series. 3 of us in our band use the WL-50 system. every now and then we get signal drop offs and when we were using them initially we would experience signal crossing over to each others amp. The signal drop outs were very sporadic though and would sometime be very annoying. We found a remedy for the signal crossover by powering our systems one after the other so it would actually scan a signal thats open and then connect. Then the next guy will turn his system on, and then the next etc.

However we had a very bad experience when we opened for a major band at the Massey Theatre in New Westminster BC. We could not get a solid signal and our systems kept dropping (during soundcheck). No cross overs though, but the signal drop off was bad to a point were we just ditched the wireless systems and just decided to use cables.

Also i could not use my system at home due to the proximity of my pedalboard to our wireless Modem, the signal is very problematic.

Cheers!
I tried out a Boss WL-60 this weekend. Couldn’t get more than 5 feet away before dropouts happened. Tried every channel. What a piece of junk. I returned that thing in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
Informative vid. A couple of points that popped in my mind;
How long does one charge last? Maybe I missed it.
Regarding the spin (not too secure), instead of dbl sided tape, press the 'tip' tab of the input in to make it tighter?

·
Premium Member
3,946 Posts
Informative vid. A couple of points that popped in my mind;
How long does one charge last? Maybe I missed it.
Regarding the spin (not too secure), instead of dbl sided tape, press the 'tip' tab of the input in to make it tighter?
It lasts about 4 hours. Yeah, it's very slightly smaller than a standard 1/4" jack. I wouldn't adjust the output jack on the guitar, you can usually fold the unit against the body of the guitar in such a way it stays put (I put little foam pads on mine where it touches the body).

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Yeah, it's very slightly smaller than a standard 1/4" jack. I wouldn't adjust the output jack on the guitar, you can usually fold the unit against the body of the guitar in such a way it stays put (I put little foam pads on mine where it touches the body).
I wonder if you could put the transmitter in your back pocket or somehow attach it to the guitar strap, and then make a little 1-foot extension cable to connect the transmitter to the guitar without harming the signal quality.

·
Premium Member
3,946 Posts
I wonder if you could put the transmitter in your back pocket or somehow attach it to the guitar strap, and then make a little 1-foot extension cable to connect the transmitter to the guitar without harming the signal quality.
I guess you could make your own with a male 1/4" and a female socket. I just haven't seen any mono 1/4" female sockets that aren't some type of input jack. Do you know of any?

·
Premium Member
862 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,946 Posts
Oh, I remember what I couldn't find. It was an adapter that was 1/4" mono male on one end and 1/4" mono female on the other. It was so I could use the XVive into an Ibanez guitar with a deep recessed jack.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi david,

I'll let you know asap. I play in a funk, blues, rnb band. Lots of horns lots of guitars ect. There will be a-lot of wireless systems being used on our live gigs, so i'll take it to rehearsal right when i get them, see how they hold up.

The second project is alot of rock, glam metal, hard hard blues. We do fire shows, alot of jumping around and other non-sense, so will see how it works with type of playing.

Talk soon
@skiddypop what's the final verdict on the ZXK?
In particular, any loss of high frequencies & volume due to the wireless transmitter loading the pickups?

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
I tried using 2 of them in our church and they interfered with each other a lot. Had to return them. They sounded fine and I think at home they are great.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts