The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering buying a reverb pedal that offers flexibility and, of course, great tone.
From my research so far, the Boss RV-6 seems to be the leading candidate so far.

There seem to be a lot of options out there, but without spending much more, what other reverb pedals should I be considering?

Edit:
To clarify, I'm looking to buy new in the $210 +/- range.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
For the price, Digitech RV-7 is a sleeper and is shockingly good. HOF and particularly mini HOF may serve well in the same price range. For higher price, there are quite a few better, with Strymon Flint being a quintessential favourite for many, but lots of other great ones like Neunaber and Dispatch Master.

·
Premium Member
17,374 Posts
Are you looking new or used? I think a new rv-6 gets you close enough to a used bluesky.

Reactions: aC2rs

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking at the HOF mini and in particular the HOF as well and I actually prefer the larger controls on the HOF over the Boss.
But, from the sound clips I can find, the Boss seems to have the edge tone-wise.

·
Premium Member
17,374 Posts
Well a bluesky is two reverbs in one with the favourite switch. At $350 used it's very worth it. I only moved to a big sky to consolidate pedals without losing options.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
665 Posts
I love the Zoom ms-70cdr, if you like refining settings by minute amounts. $160.
The interface is more intuitive than it looks.
It's not really a stomp but there are several ways to set it up so that it works much the same as a regular pedal.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the heads-up on Strymon, they do look like they are really good pedals.
However, for how often I expect that I would actually use it, (even though my main amp doesn't have reverb), I can't justify spending the money for a used Strymon.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I'm somewhat disappointed with my RV-6. I found a lot of useless options on it. Dialed into one and left it there.

The Holy Grail sounds much better to me, and is super easy to use. I think used it was $100 from a friend.

I was disappointed with the "gotcha's" in the Topanga, and it's expensive. I really love my Surf Rider from SolidGoldFX but suspect it's out of your price range. But have a look around and see if you can find it used. Note it has two stomps: one to engage, a second to make the reverb bigger. Fun stuff.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The Holy Grail is on my list, and they have a few variants on it.
The HG having fewer features has me looking at some of the other pedals, but the sound is more important to me, so I will have to research more sound clips on them.

·
Administrator
16,725 Posts
I love the Zoom ms-70cdr, if you like refining settings by minute amounts. $160.
The interface is more intuitive than it looks.
It's not really a stomp but there are several ways to set it up so that it works much the same as a regular pedal.
cannot. be. beat.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked out the Zoom pedal which seems to offer a lot of value for the price, but I decided it was way too complicated for this old guy :confused:

I had decided to buy a Holy Grail Max partly based on ease of use - then I found a good deal online for the TC Hall of Fame 2 and bought it instead - so much for simplicity ... :D

·
Administrator
16,725 Posts
I checked out the Zoom pedal which seems to offer a lot of value for the price, but I decided it was way too complicated for this old guy :confused:

I had decided to buy a Holy Grail Max partly based on ease of use - then I found a good deal online for the TC Hall of Fame 2 and bought it instead - so much for simplicity ... :D
LOL, I'm 65, it's easier than it looks :)

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A quick follow up:

My HOF2 arrived a couple of days ago and I've had a chance to play around with it.
It does have a lot of features many of which I'll probably never use.
However, it's super easy to dial in the effects and levels that I do want, and it sounds pretty good to my ears making it perfect for my purposes.

Thanks to everyone for your input I appreciated it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts