The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
11,532 Posts
I just bought my first Boss drive pedal, ever, a few months ago - a used SD-1 for about $30 (figured I couldn't lose at that price). I've never personally been a fan of anything but Boss's mod pedals, but my other guitar player uses an SD-1 to great effect (he is a good player, though).

I really like it, more than most of the others I've tried, from the DS to the BD to the FDR. A bit one trick pony-ish, but it's a good trick. And to be fair, I think that can be said about most od/dist pedals.

That said, I'm a long ways from wading into their digital distortion pedals. This will probably have lots of range of tones, being digital, but will it do that light break-up thing that most digital od's struggle with? I'm still not convinced the $2500 digital pedals have nailed it yet. I'm sure it works fine for the various high-gain needs out there, at least for some people.

Funny you should mention the SD-1, BD-2, etc. I have an SD-1 (good, but a bit noisy) and had always been curios about the BD but had never bothered trying one. While in L&M earlier today I noticed a used BD on sale for $70 (regularly $139.99) so I grabbed it. If I don't like it I can always return it.

·
Banned
11,532 Posts
The SD-1 is a classic pedal for boosting a Marshall but I am not sure I like mine all that much. When I tried the BD-2 last night though, I quite liked it - and more than my SD-1. I needed to dial out some highs, but that could well have been my amp rather than the pedal.

When I have time this week I will connect both pedals to the amp and try them side by side to see which I prefer, and why. I will report back once I have done that.

I am also considering grabbing a distortion pedal to go along with the overdrives. I am thinking maybe an MXR '78 Custom Badass or maybe a classic like the Boss DS-1 (my local L&M has a cheap used one in stock).

That being said, my amp is a Marshall Vintage Modern so I sure as hell don't need any of these drive pedals.

·
Banned
11,532 Posts
My SD-1 is a bit noisy. That being said, I noticed a little noise from my amp last night so will have to check it in another room with less potential interference. If there is still noise, I will take it to L&M for service under warranty.

But I didn't notice noise from the BD-2 yesterday.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.