The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I'm not sure this qualifies as a tutorial since the explanation in the video leaves much to be desired, so I'll break it down further here...

The method is simple... Disconnect the wires running from the amp to the speaker and connect them from the amp to the common lugs on the switching jack. Then run wires from the other side of the jack to the internal speaker. Voila! Just remember, the tip is positive (+) and the sleeve is negative (-).

Mod safe and mod awesome!

·
Registered
24,706 Posts
Nice. A clear demonstration that cab size and speaker size can be every bit as important in achieving tone and volume as the amp's wattage.

All through the 60's and 70's, pretty well every audio book and magazine article I read stated that 4W, through an appropriately efficient speaker, was generally enough to create "room-filling sound".

I will note that the Katana's speaker is decent for its size, and the cab has a port to provide a little more "heft" to the tone. That's no reason to NOT do what the video demonstrates. Rather it illustrates that Boss were thinking along the same lines: squeezing as much loudness as possible from a lower-power amp.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I love the idea of a speaker output jack that will cut out the original speaker.
Can someone post a pic of a jack that will have that option.
G.

Reactions: jbealsmusic

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@jbealsmusic I posted the link to the local supplier because @GTmaker and I are going there next week for some other items.
Absolutely. Always support your local businesses first. I'm down with that! Tell Terry I said hi.

I just responded because I didn't know if he knew we sold the jacks.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Probably will work well with most any "practice" amp to open up their sound. I don't think this is anything new. Any of these amps have some compromise when design priorities are 1-small and 2-inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts

I'm not sure this qualifies as a tutorial since the explanation in the video leaves much to be desired, so I'll break it down further here...

The method is simple... Disconnect the wires running from the amp to the speaker and connect them from the amp to the common lugs on the switching jack. Then run wires from the other side of the jack to the internal speaker. Voila! Just remember, the tip is positive (+) and the sleeve is negative (-).

Mod safe and mod awesome!
Could you please tell us the purpose of this mod?
Is it so you can use external speakers?
Thanks.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm doing that same mod to my Katana 100 as 1 year is up about now !!! (Warranty) So i need the link for the switching/circuit jack as I'm placing an order with Nextgen in the next few days ...
Important consideration: The Katana 100's power amp requires an isolated ground, so you should never allow the speaker output signal to make contact with the metal chassis. In this case, a standard open frame switching jack (like a Switchcraft 12A) will not work. The jack linked below (the one used in the video) does have a small offset that will help prevent that, but you have to make sure you drill your hole large enough for that piece to mount inside the cutout so the metal bushing doesn't make contact with the chassis:
Generic - 1/4" Mono Switching Jack (4 lug; solder)

Truth be told, there are (arguably) better jacks out there for this (ones with plastic bushings so there's no chance of contact at all). We just don't stock them at this time. Not sure of any Canadian suppliers for them (perhaps others can chime in with some links), but here's a link to what I mean:
Jack - Cliff, 1/4", Mono, Black Plastic Nut, for Marshall

The ones we carry will work fine. However, if you install it incorrectly and somehow manage to get the bushing to contact the chassis, it would be very bad for your amp.

Could you please tell us the purpose of this mod?
Is it so you can use external speakers?
Thanks.
Yes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sure would be nice to see you carry the real Cliff jacks vs. the generic ones (which in my experience are prone to failure with use like input jacks). This IMHO is one case where you pay for quality vs price.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sure would be nice to see you carry the real Cliff jacks vs. the generic ones (which in my experience are prone to failure with use like input jacks). This IMHO is one case where you pay for quality vs price.
The neutrik or switchcraft variants are also decent quality.
Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
I did this mod. It would have been nice to have a bit more detail and closeups in the video, but I managed to get it done.

I put the hole through my serial # by accident, but it was way easier to get at :confused:

Reactions: jbealsmusic
1 - 18 of 18 Posts