The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought this Boss CS-3 with a couple of other pedals. The bottom sticker is missing, and I'm curious whether it's MIJ or MIT. The only indication is 'Japan' on the AC adapter, but that obviously doesn't necessarily mean much. Wondering if anyone can tell by pics of the circuit board? I've looked online but can't find anything comparing a MIJ board with a MIT one.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Is there a serial number where the battery goes?

That should tell you the year, and then you can figure out if it's MIT or not.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, but yes, both the stickers on the bottom of the pedal & the SN one in the battery compartment are both missing.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
take a look for schematics. Maybe there are slight versions between the two.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Post pics of the three chips from a side view so we can see their part numbers. If there is a dbx vca it is definitely a late 80's MIJ CS-3.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doesn't look like there's a dbx vca...

One has a 'circle-T' logo with what looks like: THAT 2181C ?6242 0931

And then 2 chips with the same thing on them: NJM4558LD JRC K203A

·
Registered
122 Posts
Totally different chips than mine. But I would say there is a good chance that this is a MIJ CS-3 due to the cutout for the power jack. MIT's changed to the smaller square inserts that Boss are still using today.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help guys:) Mine wants the PSA power supply rather than than ACA, which according to the link Dorian provided would make it post '97 and probably MIT I'm guessing. As JC notices though, it does have the old style AC jack location, so who knows...

Anyway, thanks again for all the help! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts