The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here using the Bose systems? What are the subs like ?
Any info much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
I don't own one, but have a couple of friends who do. For a small group in a small venue, they are excellent. If you can afford it, the Bose "engine" (mixer) is a nice addition. The subs are seamless and give a nice tight bottom end. One friend uses the sub as a stand alone bass amp for some of her gigs.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I just found out these are non powered subs. I thought they where active thats why i was asking.Yes, the whole system is very expensive but i already own good p.a.gear. Will look into the Yorkville LS200P. Seems like a great little sub for our needs.

·
Premium Member
11,417 Posts
I don't own one, but have a couple of friends who do. For a small group in a small venue, they are excellent. If you can afford it, the Bose "engine" (mixer) is a nice addition. The subs are seamless and give a nice tight bottom end. One friend uses the sub as a stand alone bass amp for some of her gigs.
What he said.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, how clear should a sub sound. Should it be just like a rumble sort of sound or should it be very clean and clear. My keyboard player has a Yorkville entry level YX10 series powered about 150 watts or so that we are using and it just does not have the clarity that i like.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Rumble versus clean and clear seems to be a matter of taste. My taste is for clean and clear. The LS200P should be pretty clean, though I don't think I've used that particular model. Generally speaking, smaller drivers will give you a "tighter" bass. The key with subs is to set your crossover properly.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Inexpensive subs often struggle with low frequency punch and definition. The culprit can be an inefficient speaker/cabinet design or, more likely, the inability of the power supply to cope with the huge demands of a fast, low frequency transient.

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just found out these are non powered subs. I thought they where active thats why i was asking.Yes, the whole system is very expensive but i already own good p.a.gear. Will look into the Yorkville LS200P. Seems like a great little sub for our needs.
There's no replacement for displacement. Bose seems to market their stuff for convenience and easy to carry /set-up. The NY subway crowd maybe. And they're expensive if that isn't your thing.

They build small box that aren't naturally capable and then use electronics to compensate for a limited physical design. I used quite a few 802's

at Stampede Park for events. Never for music-oriented events, always for speaking events with BGM only. "No highs, no lows, must be ........."

I'd go for the excellent Yorkville product over Bose in a New York minute.

Reactions: marcos

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
Checked out the Bose system in L&M. The volume was quite low. I cranked it up and moved back thirty feet. The system seemed unable to project its energy that far. That was the end of my interest. A glorified hifi system.

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
I'd go for the excellent Yorkville product over Bose in a New York minute.
I checked out Yorkville's Paraline system in L&M. Expensive. Awesome. I was 1000% impressed. Brought in CD's from the truck -- everthing from Randy Stonehill's Rachel Delevoryas to Dream Theatre's New Year. Fantastic.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a Bose L1 Model II with the Tonematch mixer/effects box. Good for a solo singer/songwriter thing, but when I play larger bars or loud pubs it doesn't always cut it. Been looking for a way to use the system, but add some Yorkville speakers when required. Must be a way to configure that...
FWIW using 2 subs is much better, to answer the OP question.

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
I checked out Yorkville's Paraline system in L&M. Expensive. Awesome. I was 1000% impressed. Brought in CD's from the truck -- everthing from Randy Stonehill's Rachel Delevoryas to Dream Theatre's New Year. Fantastic.
Me too. I played an outdoor event with a pair of Paraline tops and subs. Spectacular throw and coverage. I was stunned by how good they were, and then I heard the price. At least the rental wasn't too expensive. But that they can do that in such a small box is impressive. I have a pair of Meyer UPA-1A's in my basement and they would work well in that environment too. But they're so heavy I'm not inclined to take them down when I can rent something like the Paralines.

I also played a hall that had a set of those big Yorkville Unities with the Danley-licensed manifold horns and they were great but really big. I can't imagine a situation where the Paralines wouldn't work.

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
I have a Bose L1 Model II with the Tonematch mixer/effects box. Good for a solo singer/songwriter thing, but when I play larger bars or loud pubs it doesn't always cut it. Been looking for a way to use the system, but add some Yorkville speakers when required. Must be a way to configure that...
FWIW using 2 subs is much better, to answer the OP question.
A friend of mine "got by" for a time with a Bose L1 with 2 subs on stage right and a Line6 DSP (whatever it's called) on the other side. He has since traded up to the new Bose Line Array with matching subs and can't say enough about how good a job it's doing. Verrrrrrrrry pricey though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts