The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
For myself, I prefer enjoying the moment as to taking pics/videos so it will have little impact on me. The only aspect that I don't like at a concert is when an usher will come and warn some members of the audience and they continue recording. I've had this happened twice at concerts where it got volatile with the rest of the crowd and disruptive to the band and event. Shut it off and don't be a douche!

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Is someone with a phone in the air more disruptive than someone holding a lighter in the air? I'm not one to record things, I could care less, but I don't find someone else recording something to be disruptive to me. Honestly, someone wearing a big cowboy hat or the like in front of me would be more of a problem for me.

·
Registered
12,855 Posts
iPhone technology probably won't let me film my kids piano recital, which will probably be for the best as he's terrible.

·
Premium Member
17,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't usually try to take videos (it has to be one of my favourite songs by the act, and even then I have to decide film 20 seconds vs. be present) - however I also don't hold my phone up trying to get "world's best shot". I am a fan of taking a picture or two for every time I see a band that I really like.

Reactions: Alex

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,921 Posts
Nothing wrong with taking pictures here and there, but what's the point in taking a video? They never look good, they never sound good, and it is barely a fraction of how great it was to experience it in person. I'd rather watch paint dry while listening to nails dragging across a chalkboard than watch and listen to a smartphone recording of a live show. YMMV

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Is someone with a phone in the air more disruptive than someone holding a lighter in the air? I'm not one to record things, I could care less, but I don't find someone else recording something to be disruptive to me. Honestly, someone wearing a big cowboy hat or the like in front of me would be more of a problem for me.
It does not bother me as well except for the situation I indicated above. There are worst things - having a drunken loud guy behind you yelling at blood curdling volumes during intricate parts played by the band - I saw Yes in 2014 in a small theatre with my wife (who wanted to see what Yes was all about). The guy was so disruptive that the crowd was puzzled. A bunch of people when to get an usher but to no avail. I finally turned around and suggested to him, to let it out when the band finishes the song. Diplomacy doesn't work in these situations :D. The smart guy next to the dunken guy got up, stood right in his face and repeatedly shouted to the top of his lungs "SHUT THE [email protected]#K UP" until the guy got up and left. Problem solved.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like a good boot from time to time...that said, all the boots I like(audio or video) were captured in a time where you HAD to be good at sneaking that stuff in. Nowadays with cellphones, the concert going experience in general has kinda been ruined for me.
On the flipside, for a new and current band who is trying to make their way, it seems the cellphone videos can and do help them get along. So I dunno. Happy Canada Day:)

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
I guess concert goers won't be buying iPhones from now on.

I have seen a few videos taken with a cell phone. Not so great. 'When I look at my videos taken with my NOTE 4, they are a bit shaky no matter how still you are holding the phone and the audio quality leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
I thought it was Apple one of the first to introduce high quality cameras in their mobile devices...
Yes, many Smartphones and iPhones have good cameras but the video doesn't have the stabilization of a true video camera; at least not yet.

·
Registered
15,305 Posts
The last concert I was at the guy was repeatedly on his cell phone. Looked like he was doing a live feed to someone. Damned if my drink didn't spill.
@JBFairthorne....depending on what you're sparking up lighters are ok. Cowboy hats? Welcome to Alberta.
That being said I used to be pretty good at getting cassette recorders into concerts at the Agradome and the Colosseum. Video cameras were a bit too big and a bit too obvious, Half the time when I take a vid with my cell it comes out sideways.

·
Registered
238 Posts
iPhone technology probably won't let me film my kids piano recital, which will probably be for the best as he's terrible.
Many music schools will arrange to video recitals so you don't have to, but I believe they charge you a fee to transfer to disc for you. You're welcome.....

·
Premium Member
4,327 Posts
For myself, I prefer enjoying the moment as to taking pics/videos so it will have little impact on me. The only aspect that I don't like at a concert is when an usher will come and warn some members of the audience and they continue recording. I've had this happened twice at concerts where it got volatile with the rest of the crowd and disruptive to the band and event. Shut it off and don't be a douche!
Alex I totally agree. And the quality if the video is always crap anyway.

It's a sign of the time though. I advised (quite calmly at first) a woman to stop talking on her cell while pumping gas.

She became irate and complained to me about my "tone" and refused to stop using her cell (at the risk of death to us all). The douche population today is ever increasing.

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
I never pull my phone out at a concert. I find no sense to it. The videos are hideous and the sound is worse. I don't mind someone taking the odd pic. But having someone holding a phone up recording a show in front of you is very annoying.

·
Premium Member
12,847 Posts
Nothing wrong with taking pictures here and there, but what's the point in taking a video? They never look good, they never sound good, and it is barely a fraction of how great it was to experience it in person. I'd rather watch paint dry while listening to nails dragging across a chalkboard than watch and listen to a smartphone recording of a live show. YMMV
Concur 100%. I doubt any of those are worth watching - just really proving 'they were there'. Must be awful to have so many friends think you're a fricken' liar.

If I paid a big chunk a change to see a band, I want to see the band. In real time. And fully engaged/there. If I feel the need to relive it, I buy a concert video. Most every serious act has at least one - some have many. Professionally done, good sound (usually in 5.1 or 7.1, enveloping you), multiple cameras. And now, with most people going on-line, I'm picking up used concert DVD's for 5 bucks. That's only a 5 - 10% premium on the original cost of a ticket - less than Ticketbastard charges us.

Reactions: zontar

·
Registered
15,458 Posts
I was at a blues festival a few years ago--and the bands were okay with pictures & video.
I took a few pictures, but found it detracted from just enjoying the music.
I did do video for a couple of songs--knowing the video portion would be horrible--especially as I was watching the stage, not my phone, so I had not idea what the video would look like.
I listen to the videos sometimes, just pull them up & listen, but don't watch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts