The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since when did a 2 channel amp with a boost option become labelled as a 3 channel amp? Maybe its my own ignorance there must be some sort of criteria to be labelled as a channel

·
Premium Member
17,174 Posts
I dont think there's any real rule about what defines channels. That is definitely annoying though.

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
As far as I’m concerned if there aren’t dedicated tone controls it isn’t a channel. That’s likely a long way from technical but for me it’s practical. I like a boost switch like all my Traynor YCVs have enjoyed, but I wouldn’t typify them as another channel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a conversation with a member about a listing with his Shiva. Last time I owned a Shiva it only had 2 channels and a button to boost the gain channel. He thinks that because Friedman's BE100 is listed as a 3 channel amp he can label his Shiva as a 3 channel amp. I dont agree personally.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As far as I’m concerned if there aren’t dedicated tone controls it isn’t a channel. That’s likely a long way from technical but for me it’s practical. I like a boost switch like all my Traynor YCVs have enjoyed, but I wouldn’t typify them as another channel.
I think that definition makes a lot of sense. Case in point was my Tone King Falcon, described as a single-channel, but with a 3 position "voicing" switch (Rhythm, Tweed, Lead). Drastically different settings, but they all shared the tone and volume knobs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i can go ahead and call my JVM410 a 12 channel amp, but then i can boost each of those channels with the second master volume, so viola a JVM410 is now 24 channels.....lol

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
I mod'd my LSS (2 channel amp) so the boost on the second channel is footswitchable. I don't consider that a 3 channel amp now - more likely a 2.5 channel amp at most.

But it's all about marketing and loose definitions. If someone was going to buy a BE100 over a Shiva for no other reason than the former is spec'd as having 1 more channel, well, a fool and his money, as they say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts