The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why oh why can't I find a bone saddle for an acoustic guitar in this city of one million people??? Everyone I've talked to says try www.guitarpartsdepot.com. Well, that site doesn't seem to exist? What's going on and why is it sooooo hard to find a simple bone saddle blank in Canada? :mad:

·
Registered
97 Posts
did you go to a guitar luthier??? and ask,or just to a local retail store and ask ???

you would think a luthier would have one

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did you go to a guitar luthier??? and ask,or just to a local retail store and ask ???

you would think a luthier would have one
Well, I started out phoning the local music stores (who have luthiers and guitar techs working for them) but got nowhere. Tried to leave a message on Jim Mozell's (our local guitar god) answering machine but apparently it's full?! (why doesn't this surprise me). So, I'm no further ahead.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are simply not very difficult to make. www.frets.com

Peace, Mooh.
Yes, Mooh, I do go to Frets.com for all sorts of things but still need the actual saddle. I'm okay with sanding it once I get it, altho' I really should have specified that I want a compensated one to start with, not a blank.

·
Premium Member
11,005 Posts
Gilliangirl...Too bad you're not nearby, I'd do it for you myself. I generally have bone blanks on hand and will do compensated saddles. Stew-Mac is one good source, though I usually get them from a local builder or cut them from big old bones from a meatcutter. Maybe I can set you up with one?

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you considered Tusq (man made), or do you specifically want bone?

http://www.graphtech.com/tusq_info.php
Good morning Hamm,

Yes, the saddle that's in there now is Tusq and really there's no problem with it. I obviously fell in love with the sound of the guitar with a Tusq saddle, but I just thought I'd see how the tone would change with bone.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gillian order from this site:

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/

Bob is the best, he ships US post so it will probably just show up in your mailbox no fees. I've ordered many a time from him!

Hi Jeff,

I've tried ordering from Bob but he only accepts credit cards (I don't have credit cards). He won't take an international money order because he says his bank won't accept them. That's the first time I've ever heard of a bank not accepting an international money order. So then he suggested I send cash through the mail, but I'm not comfortable doing that. I had put in an order for bone saddle and bridge pins, which came to almost $70.00 cash. I don't want to send it through the mail. And to insure it (with cash inside) is another $21.00. So, unfortunately I can't order from Bob. Honestly, he was my first choice.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gilliangirl...Too bad you're not nearby, I'd do it for you myself. I generally have bone blanks on hand and will do compensated saddles. Stew-Mac is one good source, though I usually get them from a local builder or cut them from big old bones from a meatcutter. Maybe I can set you up with one?

Peace, Mooh.

Oops! I somehow missed this post yesterday, Mooh. Thank you for the offer, but Long & McQuade here in Calgary has come to my rescue this morning! Apparently the guy I spoke with there was not aware that they do in fact have bone nuts and saddles in stock. The Gibson's going into the shop this afternoon. I'm already going through withdrawal and it hasn't even left the house yet.

Thanks everyone for the help :smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts