The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read that replacing the plastic nut and saddle with bone would improve the sound of a steel string acoustic guitar. In changing the strings on my Bernabe M50 classical guitar and Luis Sevillano Flamenco guitar (with Savarez red card strings) I have noticed that they have plastic nuts and saddles. Would changing these to bone improve the sound on classical guitars? The Bernabe has great sustain and clarity already and the Flamenco has clear trebles but the bass is a little weak. It sounds full at first but dies out quickly. Perhaps this is an attribute of Flamenco guitars that are more punchy sounding in general.

I have looked for 52 mm bone nuts and saddles but couldn't find any for the wider necked classicals. Has anyone done this replacement on classical guitars?

Okay, I found some on Strings by Mail. I think I will give them a try.

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
A bone saddle may help, but a nut is in the equation on open strings only. Once you fret a string the composition of the nut does not affect the tone.

This is the reason you will find many European guitars using a zer0 fret.

·
Registered
127 Posts
A bone saddle may help, but a nut is in the equation on open strings only. Once you fret a string the composition of the nut does not affect the tone.

This is the reason you will find many European guitars using a zer0 fret.
the question then becomes should the nut be metal, either the same as the fret wire or brass?

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
I always use bone saddles and nuts on nylon strung instruments (except a couple of cheaper ukuleles), though I had a La Patrie Collection with a black horn nut that was smooth as silk and little softer than bone I think...I liked it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upon further inspection maybe they are actually bone. It would probably be unlikely that a guitar (Bernabe M50) that cost $8K new would have cheap plastic nuts and saddles. But it sure looks like plastic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts