The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started using an attenuator with my combo amp, and it works great! So great that I'm thinking of how I might physically bolt the thing inside the open back, so it becomes a permanent part of the amp and I won't have this separate little box to carry around and plug in everywhere I go.

Have any of you guys tried this? Do you have pics or advice? What about going one step further and modding the controls, so that the attenuation control and toggle switches are actually mounted to the main control panel for the amp?

This is a 2 ohm THD Hotplate attenuator to use with my tweed Bassman clone, my main gigging amp. I'd never tried one on this amp before mainly because of the Bassman's goofy 4 individual RCA jacks for each of the 4 speakers (which are wired in series inside the chassis). Well, the EBay guy I bought it from custom built a little box with 4 RCA jacks and a couple cables so you can connect it to a stock Bassman. Works great! I ran it throughout this past weekend's gig (in a smaller bar). I've never been able to run the volume past about 4 or 4.5 in there, but with the Hotplate I could push it up to about 5 or 5.5 at roughly the same volume with the Hotplate set to the first notch, supposedly 4 db of attenuation. If you're familiar with the 5F6A Bassman, you know that there's a BIG difference in tone between 4 and 6 on the volume knob, but the level will rip your head off!

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
I have a couple of amps that I use with an attenuator, so it doesn't make much sense for me personally, but I don't see any technical reason it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
274 Posts
being simple minded, I might troubleshoot the bone-easy method first. you could simply replace the 4 bottom screws that hold the door on with longer ones (ie. another 3/4" longer to go through the cab), use the bottom door as a template for drilling, and have it on the side facing backwards. This is all assuming that the bottom is bolted in the corners like an mxr pedal or something

1 - 4 of 4 Posts