The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw it. Liked it. If you’re a Queen fan you will to. Most of what I heard from the critics was plain wrong. They didn’t hide Freddy’s sexuality at all. I wonder if they cut a different version for the US?

72B8F4F5-0CC0-4583-A170-F5D088D47012.jpeg

·
Premium Member
11,867 Posts
Re: Freddie's sexuality. I wonder, the way things are currently, if it isn't mentioned front and center every few minutes, it's being 'hidden'?

I'm looking forward to seeing this, but as usual, I also wonder if it's worth the theatre experience or if I should wait till it's distributed to the home. The latter is usually my preference, unless something is visually spectacular. I can't duplicate a good projector's image but my sound is as good as any theatre I've been to.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I'm a huge Queen fan so for me it was a fantastic couple of hours. You'll laugh, cry, get some aha moment insights into the lads and thoroughly enjoy the music. Found this Google doodle that marked Freddy's 65th birthday.

[video]

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Liked it. If you’re a Queen fan you will to.
Sounds like you are saying anyone who doesn't like this movie does not qualify as a 'real' Queen fan?
Doesn't seem like a fair premise to me. ^)@#
Some bands have many films made about them, fans don't have to like every one of them.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I’m not a Queen fan and as a movie I found it of mild interest. It was more a Freddie movie than about Queen the band I thought.
The highlight was the Wayne’s World reference.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I’m not a Queen fan and as a movie I found it of mild interest. It was more a Freddie movie than about Queen the band I thought.
The highlight was the Wayne’s World reference.
From the reviewers and anyone else I've heard talking about the movie its exactly the opposite of a "Freddie" movie. I heard there was nothing about his sexuality or personal life, that it was a Queen movie. But even then I would imagine it would seem like it was a "Freddie", movie because there really would have been no Queen with out him.
I'll find out for my self on Wednesday when I go to see it.

·
Administrator
15,986 Posts
I heard there was nothing about his sexuality or personal life,
That's a good thing in my opinion. I could care less about his sexuality. He was a great musician with an incredible voice. That was enough for me.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
From the reviewers and anyone else I've heard talking about the movie its exactly the opposite of a "Freddie" movie. I heard there was nothing about his sexuality or personal life, that it was a Queen movie. But even then I would imagine it would seem like it was a "Freddie", movie because there really would have been no Queen with out him.
I'll find out for my self on Wednesday when I go to see it.
Well I'm glad you're going to see it and if you are impartial even a smidge you'll know what I mean. For my money, there'd have been no Queen without Brian May.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Well I'm glad you're going to see it and if you are impartial even a smidge you'll know what I mean. For my money, there'd have been no Queen without Brian May.
Well as a guitar player and a huge fan of Brian May I'd want to agree with you. But I don't think its realistic. I think Queen was Freddie all the way. But it sure would have been a different Queen with out Brian May.

·
Premium Member
16,569 Posts
I think with Queen, you need May and Mercury. Queen without May is not Queen in my opinion.

There are few players with a more distinctive sound and style.

It’ssad to me that they weren’t able to put together something like Rush’s Beyond the Lighted Stage.

That was a classy look at a classy band.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Well as a guitar player and a huge fan of Brian May I'd want to agree with you. But I don't think its realistic. I think Queen was Freddie all the way. But it sure would have been a different Queen with out Brian May.
I think every member of Queen was important. But for the average person, a band with no front man won't appeal to them. And Freddie was one of the best ever. A 4 hour Queen movie focusing on everyone would make all of us happy. But focusing on Freddie from a feature film perspective is completely understandable.

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
Re: Freddie's sexuality. I wonder, the way things are currently, if it isn't mentioned front and center every few minutes, it's being 'hidden'?
Perhaps.

As for Freddie he neither hid nor flaunted it.
He made references to it when it suited him or when it was on topic.

·
Premium Member
16,569 Posts
Sorry to be negative, but I’ve been a huge Queen fan for many years and I’m just not interested in actors pretending to be Queen.

I have plenty of brilliant concert footage on DVD.

The personal drama and portrayals of their personal lives are uninteresting to me. There’s plenty of footage of the real deal.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts