The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a body and neck builder in Canada that can build a small amount on an ongoing basis for a reasonable fee. Any leads are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Booo! ;-)

What is reasonable? I have done lots of custom builds and have a client that I do a number of one design.

Most people under estimate the amount of time involved in a custom design. I could spend 40 - 60 hrs on a custom design and possibly much more depending on CNC fixturing etc. I do this as a hobby so generally am very inexpensive to do something like this. The more you order the cheaper it gets but the upfront cost could be substantial.

The design and CAM fee is always the most expensive and then once that is done it just boils down to a flat rate $ / hr for machining time. I charge about $75 /hr, less for volume, for CNC time and a simple body and neck would probably be about 2hrs.

Regards Peter.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Hi Nathan - how do you do design? Do you use a cad program or old school pencil and paper?

Cheers Peter.
Old school pencil & paper.
Full size mock ups out of plywood sometimes.

I learned a bit of cad in high school but that was a long time ago lol

Nathan

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
There was no CAD when I was in high school but I went to college learned it and never used pencil and paper again for drafting.

To the OP - How many bodies and necks are we talking about? Shoot me an e-mail if interested. [email protected]

Cheers Peter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts