The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
a bit of trivia I discovered today

I was researching how to keep my BNC lamp from spinning around; it is actually a BNC lamp with a $5 adaptor hooked up to a TNC connector. A TNC lamp would have cost me another $50 or so; so I just bought the adaptor and used an old BNC lamp

I began to wonder...what the heck do those acronyms mean?? Wiki to the rescue....

Paul Neill worked for Bell Labs in the 1940's. He invented something called the "N Connector". It was one of the first connectors capable of carrying microwave-frequency signals:

Paul Neill - Wikipedia

N connector - Wikipedia

Carl Concelman worked for Amphenol and invented the "C Coonnector". It is weatherproof without being overly bulky. It can be used up to 11 Ghz, and is rated for up to 1500 volts.

Carl Concelman - Wikipedia

C connector - Wikipedia

They collaborated and created the BNC, and TNC connectors, which are thus named after them:

(Bayonet Neill–Concelman) connector:

BNC connector - Wikipedia

(Threaded NeillConcelman) connector:

TNC connector - Wikipedia

the TNC connector is better suited for situations where you don't want/need the lamp to swivel. As it is threaded, and can be locked stationary. the BNC will swivel freely.

I have also discovered that a piece of heavy heatshrink tubing installed over the BNC swivel, will help keep it from spinning around if you want to keep it stationary.

that last tidbit courtesy of littlite.com

Littlite FAQ

props to Paul Neill and Carl Concelman for inventing these things. I have been talking about BNC cables for years and never knew about their origins/name sources

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
17,584 Posts
Thanks ...very interesting.

It would be nice to have one's name associated with something referred to universally (and in a nice way).

·
Premium Member
10,035 Posts
Looks like mhammer hacked boleros account.

Reactions: bolero

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ...very interesting.

It would be nice to have one's name associated with something referred to universally (and in a nice way).
heh...I just dropped a GRECO in the bathroom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts