The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
I contacted the company by email, early last summer about this amp as well as their cabs. I wanted to know about Canadian availability and distribution.

They replied they were working on that issue and hoped to have product available by the Fall.

It’s Winter now, heading to Spring. I wonder if the Canadian market means anything to them. My money keeps going to other manufacturers products. This happens to be an amp that I believe should be owned by me. Their cabs look interesting as well.

·
Administrator
15,990 Posts
I contacted the company by email, early last summer about this amp as well as their cabs. I wanted to know about Canadian availability and distribution.

They replied they were working on that issue and hoped to have product available by the Fall.

It’s Winter now, heading to Spring. I wonder if the Canadian market means anything to them. My money keeps going to other manufacturers products. This happens to be an amp that I believe should be owned by me. Their cabs look interesting as well.
I ran mine into a Mesa Thiele cab that worked really well with it.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
@davetcan , I believe you.

I was in the market for an extremely lightweight cab, and if it happens to sound like a 412, that would be fine with me. I know that is not likely, but this is another company that claims that their tiny, lightweight cabs, do things big.

I since bought a Mesa widebody, closed back with a C90, for the time being.

I also picked up a Mesa Express 5 25 plus combo. I really like this gear, and bought it to be more versatile, also more mobile.

The Bluguitar gear would possibly be more so.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s Winter now, heading to Spring. I wonder if the Canadian market means anything to them.
I since bought a Mesa widebody, closed back with a C90, for the time being.
I also picked up a Mesa Express 5 25 plus combo. I really like this gear, and bought it to be more versatile, also more mobile.
The problem with being in Canada is that these types of units are not readily available to try out.
Same with Quilter.
I think Mesa makes great stuff too.
My last big amp was a Mark V,but I'm looking for lightweight too.
The good thing with the Mesa line for me is I have a topnotch Mesa tech fairly close by if I ever need repair.
Bluguitar and Quilter would be a lot harder to get serviced in a timely fashion.
They would also have to be shipped to the U.S. which is another pain.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
When davetcan had his unit up for sale, I gave it serious thought. My research showed the newer Mercury model was going to be released, so I inquired about Canadian availability, and got the answer for Fall 2018. It seemed to make sense to wait for the updated model, and perhaps a store full of gear to make comparisons.

I tripped over the Mesa gear for good deals, barely used, a few months old. The combo now has a Jensen Neo in it. It is now 5-6 pounds heavier than a Fender Princeton Reverb, and basically the same footprint. The extra cab allows similar room filling capability as my larger and heavier F-100. My Mesa experiences have always been promising.

I can’t see parting with the Mesa gear. It covers a lot of ground. Perhaps all I realistically will ever need.

The few Quilter items that I have heard, sounded OK, but I had no hands on experience. Without a local store having items to try, I find it pointless to choose.
The only shop that had a few Quilter items, was The Guitar Shoppe in Laguna Beach California. There wasn’t enough selection to give a serious comparison trial of Quilter vs. other gear that I already had at home. There also wasn’t enough time.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tripped over the Mesa gear for good deals, barely used, a few months old. The combo now has a Jensen Neo in it. It is now 5-6 pounds heavier than a Fender Princeton Reverb, and basically the same footprint
I've been searching out something fairly lightweight to play at home or haul around and have tried some SS gear,but whenever I plug into a Mesa I start smiling.
My top pick is the Mesa Mark V 35 combo.
It comes in at 44 lbs. and I've heard from a few people that with a Neo Creamback it sounds like the original C90 that it came loaded with.
The best part is with the Neo it comes in at 37 lbs.
That's totally doable for me.
I looked up Jensen neo,but was a little confused as there are a few different models.
Which Jensen did you get and what was the price?
The neo Creamback is around $225 Canadian.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
@Lef T ,
I happened to have the last two generations of Jensen Neo speakers. The older now discontinued 12-100, and the more recent Jet Tornado that I bought new a few years ago for about half price. There was a post on this forum about a particular wholesaler in Quebec, clearing out Jensen stock . Many of us here took advantage of that deal.

I picked up the 12-100 at the Michigan Guitar Show a few years ago for $50 USD. This one is darker, the Jet Tornado is brighter and broke in quickly. It sounded pretty good out of the box.

I have interest in the Neo Creamback, but I am frugal.
I would have preferred a used Mark V35 combo, but a two month old Express 5 25 plus for the deal I got could not be overlooked. The included V30 probably sounds great in a mix, and is stellar with my 6L6 tubed Mesa F-100 at any volume. I just did not care for the tone at the 5 watt settings that I spend most of my time on. The Jet Tornado is very good clean, and quite acceptable pushed. The 5 watt settings on the Mesa amps are tough to beat for versatility, and easily provide pleasing tone.

I have a C90 in a Mesa closed back widebody cab. It sounds good singly and better paired with the Jensen Neo in my Express combo.

I have used the Jensen Neo speakers in other combos and cabs. Is there something better out there? I honestly don’t know. Price point that I bought at, sound comparisons online, and good reviews made the decisions easy.

·
Read Only
128 Posts
These are really awesome! I sold mine to Mr Dave, and actually bought it back in regret. Still have it. It’s the original version, but it sounds and feels awesome. It sent my helix packing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
These are really awesome! I sold mine to Mr Dave, and actually bought it back in regret. Still have it. It’s the original version, but it sounds and feels awesome. It sent my helix packing.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about it. I almost bought it from Dave, when he was selling it.

·
Administrator
15,990 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm still regretting it, LOL.

·
Premium Member
4,261 Posts
I think this thing is amazing as well. Did a whole bunch of research after seeing your original post.

I will say though, my traynor quarter horse for the money I think is the best bang for the buck. I would obviously say it doesn’t compete with this particular product. It is pretty amazing for what it does. And it $99 with an even smaller footprint and 1 more effect, it really fits the lightweight portable amp category .

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I just bought the Amp1 Mercury from L&M. I was really looking for a big fat clean Fender sound in a portable package. It does not disappoint! I’ve owned a Deville 410, a ‘69 Vibrolux, and a ‘65 DRRI, and I can say that this amp is the real deal in terms of feel and clean headroom. The really great Marshall crunch tones are a bonus for me. I’m playing it through a 2x12 open back cab loaded with 8ohm Celestion G12-65s wired in series (16ohms total). I’m just starting to explore the versatility of this beast because I bought it 4 days ago.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,301 Posts
The problem with being in Canada is that these types of units are not readily available to try out.
Same with Quilter.
I think Mesa makes great stuff too.
My last big amp was a Mark V,but I'm looking for lightweight too.
The good thing with the Mesa line for me is I have a topnotch Mesa tech fairly close by if I ever need repair.
Bluguitar and Quilter would be a lot harder to get serviced in a timely fashion.
They would also have to be shipped to the U.S. which is another pain.
Every single time I've shipped expensive items to the US for repair, I've been dinged with import duties and taxes upon its return. Contested all of the charges, was never able to get my monies back. I rarely buy anything from the US anymore. Besides, I want to support Canadian businesses.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
I think this thing is amazing as well. Did a whole bunch of research after seeing your original post.

I will say though, my traynor quarter horse for the money I think is the best bang for the buck. I would obviously say it doesn’t compete with this particular product. It is pretty amazing for what it does. And it $99 with an even smaller footprint and 1 more effect, it really fits the lightweight portable amp category .
Wow you must really like the quarterhorse to compare it with these amps! I am less than impressed with mine, bought a YCV 20 WR that really works for me but I don't think it compares to the amps these guys are using or looking for. That is why there is so many different amps out there, everyone is looking for something different to suit their needs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts