The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used NOS Blues Junior off of Craigslist at a great price. I'd played one at a music store and got into the clean tones.

Then I read about the billm mods. Turned out that Bill was a 45 minute drive away from me, so I sent him an email and asked if I could bring my amp by and A/B it with one of his modded versions.

Long story short: He said, "Sure!", I did the comparison and was very impressed. I left the amp with him to do all the mods including the 30w conversion (I did the A/B against a standard 15w and 30w).

Bill's since passed on. Super nice guy. But my amp still sings. It really is so nice. Much as I love the super clean settings, I've found a fantastic overdrive setting (much more dirt than I'd expected would work) which is very touch sensitive. Stays nice and clean until you dig in.

I love this amp and would recommend the mods to anyone who's looking. I dug it, stock, and am that much more into it since I had the changes made. It's like one of the boutiques at less than half the price.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The Billm mods are on my list. Which transformer did you go with? I was just planning to do the tone stack, jack, standby and adjustable bias to start.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Billm mods are on my list. Which transformer did you go with? I was just planning to do the tone stack, jack, standby and adjustable bias to start.
TP24 Power Transformer:

Allen Amplification - Parts Order Page

Bill used to do a lot of work for Allen Amplification.

I love the 30w. Stays nice and clean when you want it that way.

Here's a list of what I had done:

Basic mods, cream board
Presence control
Clean Boost
Audio-taper reverb control
Audio-taper master volume
Switchcraft input jack
Standby/Power switch
Line out jack
Cathode follower mod
Jewel pilot lens/LED conversion
Heyboer TO26 (includes aux)
TP24 power transformer
Octal conversion
JJ 6L6GC, burned in, matched
Bias Board
Footswitch pedal with LEDs

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Line out is pretty cool. The amp takes on a different character when it's connected to another cab.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts