The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking at a Roland Artist or Stage for a home and grab n go amp.
I've briefly tried out the Stage at a music store and thought it sounded quite good.
Thought I'd see if any owners could add their experiences with either of these amps.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
I have the Artist. Really like it. I don't use the crunch channel or the effects but it gets used by me every single day.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Do you use the boost?
What I like about the Artist is that you can use the boost via footswitch.
You can't do that with the Stage.
Yeah, I think I just leave it on all the time lol. When I want a more cutting lead tone, I just switch to the bridge p/u.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I’ve got a Stage... I bought it for a “grab and go” amp and it serves that need and far more.

I can go without pedals, plug into the hi input, and it’s great for blues and classic rock.

As a pedal platform, plug into the lo input, and you can get a wide palette of tones.

I’ve owned several reissue deluxe and priceton reverbs and I’d choose the Blues Cube over any of those.

It’s uncanny how tube like the amp feels under your fingers... more so than most tube amps I’ve played as I usually can’t crank them loud enough to get them in their sweet spot. The Blues Cube delivers at any volume.

I wish the Stage had an fx loop... that’s all I miss from it. Also, the tolex is soft and is easily compromised. Those are my main complaints.

It would be interesting to explore the tone capsules, but they are too much money and I dig the stock “bassman” voicing so the capsule interest is more about curiosity.

Another guy I play with (urko99 on the forum) has the smallest version of the series... it too is a great package.

I believe if more players were introduced to these amps, you’d see them everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Lef T

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ve got a Stage... I bought it for a “grab and go” amp and it serves that need and far more.
I believe if more players were introduced to these amps, you’d see them everywhere.
Tried the Stage in the shop and was very impressed.
The sustain sounded really nice,without being fizzy.
I couldn't tell it was a solid state amp.
From reviews,it seems like most owners really like them.
I need to find an Artist to try out.
I like the weight and size of the Stage,but the Artist does give a few more options.
Can the Stage stay relatively clean at band volume in a club setting?

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Tried the Stage in the shop and was very impressed.
The sustain sounded really nice,without being fizzy.
I couldn't tell it was a solid state amp.
From reviews,it seems like most owners really like them.
I need to find an Artist to try out.
I like the weight and size of the Stage,but the Artist does give a few more options.
If you are near Ottawa, you can try mine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are near Ottawa, you can try mine.
I'd love to.
Thanks for the kind offer,but I'm in St. Catharines.
A bit of a drive.
Thanks for sharing the information on the Artist.
I appreciate it.
Do you play out with the Artist?
Can you get loud,but still stay fairly clean with it?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Sure... 60w setting, low on the gain, increase master volume to taste, plug into low input if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Lef T

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
I'd love to.
Thanks for the kind offer,but I'm in St. Catharines.
A bit of a drive.
Thanks for sharing the information on the Artist.
I appreciate it.
Do you play out with the Artist?
Can you get loud,but still stay fairly clean with it?
No, the venue I play at is too small. Yes, it gets very loud. I’d say equivalent to a 20watt tube amp.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Checked my settings last night. When I set the volume on my Fender 22 watt '65 DRRI at 5, it's about the same SPL as the Artist on 5. More than loud enough to play a club without a PA.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked my settings last night. When I set the volume on my Fender 22 watt '65 DRRI at 5, it's about the same SPL as the Artist on 5. More than loud enough to play a club without a PA.
That's a good reference.
Thank you.
Is that with the amp set to 80 watts and the master volume and clean channel volume both set to 5?

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
That's a good reference.
Thank you.
Is that with the amp set to 80 watts and the master volume and clean channel volume both set to 5?
Oh, great point. I had forgotten about the Artist's attenuator. No, I have the Artist set to 15W. 45 and 80 is just way too loud. So yeah, at 15W, the Artist is just as loud as the 22w tube amp at the same volume setting. Master on the Artist is at 6. Boost on the Clean channel (what I use) is off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Happy to help. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to check/compare tonight.
Sounds like a perfect solution for me.
I want an amp I can play at home,but that's also light enough to lug around.
.Do you use the Foot controller with the amp?
I think it's called a GA-FC .
Do you use the loop?

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Sounds like a perfect solution for me.
I want an amp I can play at home,but that's also light enough to lug around.
.Do you use the Foot controller with the amp?
I think it's called a GA-FC .
Do you use the loop?
No, I don't use the footswitches on any of my amps. Also don't use the effects loop. Everything runs into the front and it sounds killer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everything runs into the front and it sounds killer
I bet it does sound killer.
Thanks for the pic too.
I'm leaning towards the Artist for the couple of extra options over the Stage.
The only effect I use is a little bit of delay and it could go in front or in the loop.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
I appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts