The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night was the first time I've blown a fuse on my amp over 25 years of gigging. My DRRI first started started distorting as soon as I dig into the guitar with the volume at 3. We tried a different socket and it just died. We checked the fuse and it was blown. Went around to see if we can find one but it was a futile search.

So my wonderful wife and son went home which is about a 35 minute drive to pickup my Peavey Classic. In the mean time we needed to start playing. It's a good thing our singer for some reason, carries a Roland Micro Cube in her car. I actually was surprised with the Micro Cube. We just miced it and I managed to go through the first set with no problems.

Since it's Sunday and most electronic stores are closed, I checked online and TheSource has the 2A/250v which from reading, I believe will work with my DRRI. This is in the hope that nothing else got fried. My keyboard player also had issues with his amp, it was making this weird noise before we unplugged it. That's when I tried my amp and consequently blew the fuse.

Am I correct to say that the fast acting 2A/250v fuse is safe for the DRRI?

·
Registered
12,100 Posts
A bad rectifier will blow a fuse.

I've had to replace a fuse on an amp of mine (and the rectifier tube), but it had to be a Slo-blo fuse.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bad rectifier will blow a fuse.

I've had to replace a fuse on an amp of mine (and the rectifier tube), but it had to be a Slo-blo fuse.
The DRRI manual though says:

FUSE TYPE:
100-120V Version: 2A quick-acting, 125 V minimum

Hopefully the rectifier tube is still good

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
If that's what the manual says, then 2A fast blow should be ok. It probably has a surgistor so they don't need a slow blow.
I'd power it up without the power tube. If it blows the fuse, try another rectifier tube. If it's ok with the power tube out, then I'd expect the power tube is bad.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Unfortunately I only saw all these posts right now as the fuse blew up again. So I'm getting a rectifier tube to see if that is the problem and another fuse. ugh.... should've gotten more than one.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
None yet. I have the rectifier tube from the tube store coming in today and I'm on my way to grab 100 fuses this time. LOL I'll test it again tonight with the rectifier tube and hopefully it works. If not, I have a couple of 6V6s to test it. And if that doesn't work, it's going to be on it's way to an amp tech. Still haven't decided on who I'm bringing it to. There's a few good amp techs here in Ottawa.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
P
None yet. I have the rectifier tube from the tube store coming in today and I'm on my way to grab 100 fuses this time. LOL I'll test it again tonight with the rectifier tube and hopefully it works. If not, I have a couple of 6V6s to test it. And if that doesn't work, it's going to be on it's way to an amp tech. Still haven't decided on who I'm bringing it to. There's a few good amp techs here in Ottawa.
As mentioned before: pull the 6V6s and put the new rectiifier in. Power up. If all is good, power down and put the 6V6s back in and power up. If it blows, there's a good chance one of the 6V6s is the culprit.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
P

As mentioned before: pull the 6V6s and put the new rectiifier in. Power up. If all is good, power down and put the 6V6s back in and power up. If it blows, there's a good chance one of the 6V6s is the culprit.
Exactly did this and yes it was the rectifier that was the problem. All is well now! Thanks everyone! That saved me money as I didn't have to bring it to an amp tech.

Just one more question, could the faulty power in the bar cause the rectifier to become bad? Or this is just a case of the rectifier tube going bad on it's own?

·
Premium Member
17,847 Posts
How many extra fuses do you now own?

Congrats on getting it sorted out.

What was the nature of the "faulty power" in the bar?

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Met Bill Pope at the guitar show. Seems like a standup guy.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Just one more question, could the faulty power in the bar cause the rectifier to become bad? Or this is just a case of the rectifier tube going bad on it's own?
Just like any other tube, they have a finite life. All current for the amp flows through that tube. It has to do some heavy lifting.
Keep a spare handy.

·
Premium Member
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How many extra fuses do you now own?

Congrats on getting it sorted out.

What was the nature of the "faulty power" in the bar?
I bought 2 sets of 5 LOL
It's an old building so I guess I"m just making that assumption about it having faulty power. Although I've played there before using my C30 and didn't have issues.

Met Bill Pope at the guitar show. Seems like a standup guy.
I've never met him but I know he is also involved in the motorcycle scene in Ottawa. I didn't realize he fixes amps until recently.

Just like any other tube, they have a finite life. All current for the amp flows through that tube. It has to do some heavy lifting.
Keep a spare handy.
Thanks. I'll definitely get a spare rectifier tube.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
I bought 2 sets of 5 LOL
It's an old building so I guess I"m just making that assumption about it having faulty power. Although I've played there before using my C30 and didn't have issues.

I've never met him but I know he is also involved in the motorcycle scene in Ottawa. I didn't realize he fixes amps until recently.

Thanks. I'll definitely get a spare rectifier tube.
Quality NOS rectifiers usually last a very long time. It took my Princeton 42 years to blow the original, and my Super is still going at 48 years.

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Quality NOS rectifiers usually last a very long time. It took my Princeton 42 years to blow the original, and my Super is still going at 48 years.
Given the other issue experienced by their bandmate, sounds like it could have been bad power at the venue.

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
Given the other issue experienced by their bandmate, sounds like it could have been bad power at the venue.
That's what I would assume as well. Spare tubes are a great thing for a gigging musician.

What I usually do is bring a 5W tube amp head as a backup. If I blow a tube on stage, I quickly switch the speaker cable over and flick the switch. It saved my ass once, so I've done it for every show since.

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
That's what I would assume as well. Spare tubes are a great thing for a gigging musician.

What I usually do is bring a 5W tube amp head as a backup. If I blow a tube on stage, I quickly switch the speaker cable over and flick the switch. It saved my ass once, so I've done it for every show since.
I was thinking too of bringing a power bar with a noise and spike filter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts