The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
When I was actually in a band, my amp of choice was a Roland Blues Cube 60. 2 channels, each with their own EQ and Gain, real spring reverb.
Its still, IMHO, the best amp ever made.

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I played on stage last night. 2/4 guitar amps were cheap SS or Digital offerings. I used a heavy vintage tube amp, and the other was some 2 channel Laney.

I sounded the best ;) but not by much. The digital amp (Mustang II) was very very close. It probably had the 2nd best tone of the 4, based on my observation from the crowd when someone else played my rig.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Back a number of years ago one of the better members (you that were there, know what I mean) did a blind test on the members using a Mustang I or II. The guesses were all over the place whether it was the Mustang or the real thing and quite a number of "experts" had to admit they were totally fooled. The right and wrong answers were split right down the middle at 50/50, meaning there was a lot of guessing going on.

Whenever someone claims they want that true tube sound, I just chuckle.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Back a number of years ago one of the better members (you that were there, know what I mean) did a blind test on the members using a Mustang I or II. The guesses were all over the place whether it was the Mustang or the real thing and quite a number of "experts" had to admit they were totally fooled. The right and wrong answers were split right down the middle at 50/50, meaning there was a lot of guessing going on.

Whenever someone claims they want that true tube sound, I just chuckle.
I agree technology has advanced rather quickly and has gained tremendous ground as of late, however, I get a chuckle when I hear about people claiming they want that "old tube tone/sound" when in fact they have no real point of reference, to begin with, it follows along the same lines as the same statements of "I want a real vintage PAF tone" when these same folks would not know what a "real PAF tone" is if it fell on top of them.
As I stated earlier, I believe SS amp technology has improved vastly and agree it's getting better every day ( I own A Fender Mustang 1) but I am still an old stubborn tube amp enthusiast and always will prefer analog circuit (own several Strymons) Unfortunately our society is full of sheep led to pasture, fortunately, some sheep astray!!

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
I agree technology has advanced rather quickly and has gained tremendous ground as of late, however, I get a chuckle when I hear about people claiming they want that "old tube tone/sound" when in fact they have no real point of reference, to begin with, it follows along the same lines as the same statements of "I want a real vintage PAF tone" when these same folks would not know what a "real PAF tone" is if it fell on top of them.
As I stated earlier, I believe SS amp technology has improved vastly and agree it's getting better every day ( I own A Fender Mustang 1) but I am still an old stubborn tube amp enthusiast and always will prefer analog circuit (own several Strymons) Unfortunately our society is full of sheep led to pasture, fortunately, some sheep astray!!
In the blind test I posted, many had the tube amps they thought they heard in the Mustang, so they did know the tube sound albeit, some likely did not know it as well as they thought they did.

One thing that SS amps can't match is the power, watt for watt that a tube amp produces.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
In the blind test I posted, many had the tube amps they thought they heard in the Mustang, so they did know the tube sound albeit, some likely did not know it as well as they thought they did.

One thing that SS amps can't match is the power, watt for watt that a tube amp produces.
A watt is a watt.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
When I was actually in a band, my amp of choice was a Roland Blues Cube 60. 2 channels, each with their own EQ and Gain, real spring reverb.
Its still, IMHO, the best amp ever made.
My fave in that video too. Sounds great

·
Premium Member
17,352 Posts

Sure they can. Fender had a 500W SS head, Marshall had a 350W SS head, most SS amps come in 100W head form...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts