The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive blend pedal with a tone control or some kind of EQ? I found this, but it’s kind of big and expensive.

Xotic X-blender

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it needs to mix two signals together and then EQ the result?
No, I'm hoping that it could EQ one of the signals and blend it into the other one. Maybe I misread what the Xotic pedal can do.

Here is what I was thinking. There's a delay pedal that sounds kind of interesting, but I really wish the delay trails had a tone control to darken or brighten as desired. This pedal has the option to go 100% wet. I was hoping to have a pedal that could take in the dry signal, pass that dry signal to the delay pedal, then bring that sound back, EQ it slightly, and then mix that with the original dry signal. So I guess what I was thinking was more of an effects loop that could EQ and then blend the returned signal with the original.

Now that I put it in words, it seems way too complicated and I should probably look into another delay or learn to love the tone of the repeats. :cool:

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@mhammer It’s the Keeley Dark Side. I’ve recently been somewhat fascinated with Echorec-style delays. Being able to control the repeats with an expression pedal is pretty cool. But the Catalinbread Echorec can get a variety of sounds with the tone control that will allow the sound of the pedal to sit back in the mix or come forward, and it lacks any other foot control other than on/off. The extra effects on the Dark Side are a nice bonus for my crowded board.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
What about using one of these in the fx loop of the amp?

I'm not sure if it will allow to EQ the send separately but you can route the signal in several ways if you have a few short guitar cables

·
Premium Member
25,162 Posts
@mhammer It’s the Keeley Dark Side. I’ve recently been somewhat fascinated with Echorec-style delays. Being able to control the repeats with an expression pedal is pretty cool. But the Catalinbread Echorec can get a variety of sounds with the tone control that will allow the sound of the pedal to sit back in the mix or come forward, and it lacks any other foot control other than on/off. The extra effects on the Dark Side are a nice bonus for my crowded board.
I don't know if Keeley uses analog bucket brigade chips for the delay section, or uses a Spin Semi FV-1, as he does with other delay/reverb pedals. The description on the site alludes to an analog fuzz section and a DSP for everything else, which suggests that you're out of luck forthe simple mod I was thinking of.

Normally, if it's an analog delay, or even a budget digital delay with analog feedback and mix level, one can simply strap a small-ish value capacitor across the input and ground lugs of the Repeat/Feedback pot and it will shave off little more top end with each repeat. I've been doing this for over 30 years with great success. And yes, it does have the virtue of moving the delay a little more to the background and "de-cluttering" the use of delay.

I'll pop off a note to Keeley's tech support later today and inquire if such a mod is feasible on the DS. I'm assuming it would void any warranties, but can generally be done non-destructively. I'm interested to hear what they say.

·
Premium Member
25,162 Posts
Okay, drafted and sent. My guess is that what I was thinking of recommending will not be feasible, given that the control used for Feedback/repeats is a dual-function pot, and not dedicated to Feedback only. BUt I'll wait to see what they say..

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, drafted and sent. My guess is that what I was thinking of recommending will not be feasible, given that the control used for Feedback/repeats is a dual-function pot, and not dedicated to Feedback only. BUt I'll wait to see what they say..
Awesome, thanks! I had also sent them a message earlier to see if they would do any custom mods... I kind of doubt it though, but thought I'd ask.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@mhammer I received a response from Keeley today and they said they are not offering any mods for that pedal. That said, I'm still considering picking up a Dark Side, as it seems pretty neat.

·
Premium Member
25,162 Posts
I suspect now that they have so many pedals in their catalog, they have gotten out of the mods game.

I didn't get my reply yet. I'll be patient.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Another option- set the pedal to 100% wet and you can use a BOSS LS2 for spitting and recombining the signals. If you put an EQ (anything from a simple tone control up to a graphic or parametric EQ) in the same LS2 loop as the delay you can EQ to your heart's content.

An LS2 is a fantastic utility pedal to have in your arsenal anyways. There are so many cool things you can do with it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thank me later...

The KMA Tyler - been wanting one for a while now.

Reactions: troyhead
1 - 15 of 15 Posts