The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife took me to see it yesterday. I hadn't been to a theatre since going to see the Coen Brothers' "Hail Caesar". I felt like I had woken up from a coma. A medium drink is $4.99? The movie starts with games you participate in with your smartphone to earn points? Fifteen minutes of commercials before the movie? Motorized recliner seats with cup-holders? A lobby that contains an arcade and has a counterwhere you can trade your earned points for"prizes"? What the....?

Coma awakenings aside, terrific film, and likely to garner pretty much every technical Oscar: art direction, production, editting, sound design, sound editting, you name it. A very nice sequel to the original, in conception, plot development, atmosphere, and look, and ties things together with the original in a way that doesn't feel like it is stretching or trying too hard. The director and writer do a nice job of dovetailing with the first film in a relaxed way, and at a relaxed pace. The feel is much more like an old Bogart detective film noire than the 2nd Alien or Star Wars movies. It's a long movie (almost 3 hours), but it never feels "long". Much more like something you simply move into than something you watch.

We saw it in 3-D, but it doesn't absolutely need it to be enjoyable. The landscapes and art design are terrific. Everything feels believable, and you never get the sense that "this was CGI". I don't care how big your TV or viewing screen is at home. This needs to be seen in a theater.

There are some nice subtle allusions to the original - almost "easter eggs" - including an apartment for Gosling's character that has a tile pattern on the walls reminiscent of Ford's/Deckerd's, snippets of Vangelis' music from the first film, similar "full-wall" video ads, and the street-level Asian food places....but with more seating. Harrison Ford's character returns near the end of the film and plays a pivotal role that feels natural not forced. Edward James Olmos also returns, and in another "easter egg" has extended his origami skills.

All in all, well worth seeing. There, I managed to do this without including any spoilers. Just make sure you've slaked your thirst before going to the theater, or you'll come out dead broke and unable to afford that next guitar.

·
Premium Member
11,553 Posts
i'll have to wait for the Blu-ray since I never go to movies without my kid and this likely isn't kid friendly.
I liked the original (not loved).

and ya, movies have changed a lot....cleverly actually....remember, the vhs was supposed to have killed the theater....they've found ways to "add value" while increasing profit, and differentiating the experience enough from being just about watching a movie. I confess, id rather watch one at home as I think if you have a good sound system and big enough screen its as good or even better. and I like being able to pause.

·
Premium Member
26,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's no more violent, or graphically so, than an episode of The Walking Dead. The language isn't particularly salty, and there are a few seconds of boobies and bums, but that's it. I suspect the more compelling reason not to bring anyone younger than 15 or so is that a 3hr film likely taxes their patience, and if they haven't seen the original, recently, there's a buncha stuff that won't make sense or hold much meaning. Indeed, it is often the interconnectedness of the first and second films that makes the length of the 2nd one feel reasonable.

Having said that, there was an article about David Letterman in retirement in this morning's paper. He notes this anecdote about taking his 13 year-old son Harry to the movies:

He and Harry went to see Battles of the Sexes, the dramatized account of the Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King celebrity tennis match.
"It's a very good movie, but what hadn't occurred to me is that it's a lesbian love story," Letterman says, "So you see a lot of good-looking girls in their underpants making out."
He stares sraight ahead.
"We're both eating our popcorn. 'Uh-huh. I see. OK.' Then it would go away and we could breathe again."

·
Premium Member
11,553 Posts
It's no more violent, or graphically so, than an episode of The Walking Dead. The language isn't particularly salty, and there are a few seconds of boobies and bums, but that's it. I suspect the more compelling reason not to bring anyone younger than 15 or so is that a 3hr film likely taxes their patience, and if they haven't seen the original, recently, there's a buncha stuff that won't make sense or hold much meaning. Indeed, it is often the interconnectedness of the first and second films that makes the length of the 2nd one feel reasonable.

Having said that, there was an article about David Letterman in retirement in this morning's paper. He notes this anecdote about taking his 13 year-old son Harry to the movies:

He and Harry went to see Battles of the Sexes, the dramatized account of the Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King celebrity tennis match.
"It's a very good movie, but what hadn't occurred to me is that it's a lesbian love story," Letterman says, "So you see a lot of good-looking girls in their underpants making out."
He stares sraight ahead.
"We're both eating our popcorn. 'Uh-huh. I see. OK.' Then it would go away and we could breathe again."
thanks, ya that was part of my consideration...I think my kid would find it boring. I was pretty young when the original came out, and found it a little boring as well. I appreciated it more as an adult. I think the detective story format can throw younger audiences.
from what ive heard, this movie is a bigger hit with the Gen x and older generation, less so with millennials.

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
thanks, ya that was part of my consideration...I think my kid would find it boring.
from what ive heard, this movie is a bigger hit with the Gen x and older generation, less so with millennials.
The original was on tv a couple weeks back. Half an hour into it and Maggs says "this is boring" and I said "but it's Bladerunner - a classic!". She says "You're weird". 20 minutes later I had to agree - it was boring, and dark. So dark that my stupid LED screen shows an almost black picture for much of the movie. I changed the channel to a Will and Grace rerun. Geeez I miss my plasma.

·
Premium Member
11,553 Posts
The original was on tv a couple weeks back. Half an hour into it and Maggs says "this is boring" and I said "but it's Bladerunner - a classic!". She says "You're weird". 20 minutes later I had to agree - it was boring, and dark. So dark that my stupid LED screen shows an almost black picture for much of the movie. I changed the channel to a Will and Grace rerun. Geeez I miss my plasma.
yes, visually it was terrible as well.

·
Premium Member
13,360 Posts
I saw it. Enjoyed it. Each to his own Villeneuve stayed true to the theme and aesthetic of the original, but with his stamp on it. I saw his other movie Arrival and like that, Blade Runner 2049, it was a slow burn. I like movies and TV series like that.

I only watch regular 2D. Imax and 3D giver me mild vertigo and besides, it is $7.20 on Seniors Monday. I never have anything to eat or drink when I go to a movie. I'm there to see a movie, not drink sugar and eat carbs and fat.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Why am I almost always forced to watch a movie in 3D....hate the stupid glasses and the effects are not worth the effort.
I saw the new Blade Runner and thought it was true to the original. I actulaly smiled at the obvious setup for a sequel.
G.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
Bowie was sought to do the part Leto ended up playing, that would have been cool. I dig Leto as well but it would have been good to see.

·
Premium Member
26,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm one of those guys who stays until the very last credit rolls by and they start cleaning up the garbage in the aisles. I have to say that there was an inordinate number of Hungarian names in the credits, particularly in the technical production side. I kept waiting for some sort of mention of a Hungary location, second unit, or post-production credit, but nothing. My wife didn't see any mention of Hungary scroll by either. Looking up the filming locations on IMDB, however, it appears that Budapest was a major shooting location.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
saw it this week, expecting a pile of crap

I was surprised, it was very well done.

not a fan of 3D, but I had no choice

way too loud though, why do they need to pump the goddamn sound FX so loud?

ps I did not understand why the female replicant killed the guy when she took the bones from the archives....doesn't her boss own the place?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts