The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seemed worse than than the one six years ago. It was on a Tuesday too. I remember coming home from seeing clients in Parkdale. The part of King Street was just starting to flood under the rail bridge, just where the streetcar is stranded from yesterday's storm

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is definitely a lot more water than 6 years ago. And yes, there is a car next to the streetcar.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
It just goes to show that we're not in control as much as we think we are.
It goes to show that the idiots that run our city would rather waste time on populist bullsht than upgrade the drainage for a city whose population has grown beyond its infrastructure.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Well we didn’t get the usual 3 day power failure here when there’s heavy rain. I was expecting to see ponds everywhere but it was all cleared up when I rolled outta here at about 11:00 AM. Thought about going to L&M Bloor to look at a 2018 P90 Goldtop but figured there’s no sense pushing my luck could drop into a sink hole or something.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
That's how I feel pretty much every day.
There’s three types of death: soul death; brain death and heart death. Soul death I go through that about every 15 minutes; brain death kinda comes and goes depending what I’m up to but heart death well I ain’t never experienced that. I figure if you ever get all three at once then that’s the ball game ... lol

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Keep laying down that paving and concrete.
When I saw the news I was thinking "but we had 3.5 inches of rain the other day"? Then I thought of what you mentioned.
For us, the crops drank it all up and the next day the gravel roads were dusty again.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Seemed worse than than the one six years ago. It was on a Tuesday too. I remember coming home from seeing clients in Parkdale. The part of King Street was just starting to flood under the rail bridge, just where the streetcar is stranded from yesterday's storm

That is a block from my younger brother's place. I drive under that bridge every time I go there.

·
Premium Member
16,795 Posts
I was in the city but didnt see the crazy flooding. It was a wet drive on the 401 with average speed being 80km/h in the city stretch.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Missed it by that much.....only showers in east Scarborough...didn't even flood my flower bed.

·
Registered
24,351 Posts
When city planners and civil engineers plan out drainage systems, they will work from historical records of rainfall, as well as census and other data that let them know how much water is going to be feeding those drains from sinks, toilets, showers, etc.

Of course, as the news-footage and photos amply illustrate, sometimes that's not enough foresight. As well, the well-intentioned intensification of many municipalities, as a way of reducing the need for major thoroughfares, new highways, and associated maintenance costs, can also render the drainage infrastructure insufficient. Sometimes, it's not just downtown, either. A neighourhood not far from us is primarily detached houses of reasonable size, but with precious little property around them - enough for a deck-with-barbecue and space for the guy to squeeze between buildings to read the gas meter. Precious little "natural" drainage, so the basements flood easily, and have done so in past.

Some long-time friends of ours live just a bit north of Eglinton, and their driveway leads to a garage under the house. I asked them if they had experienced any flooding as a result, but apparently their drainage was sufficient to handle the challenge.

We've had a few intense rainfalls over the last few years, here in Ottawa, with cars getting waterlogged and stuck in underpasses. And some folks may recall the flooding in Massachusetts earlier this year, with cars washing away. Setting aside those inundations of such ferocity and suddenness as to be "of Biblical proportions", I wonder if a signalling/alarm system would be feasible in the event of severe rainfalls, such that drivers could/would be warned not to enter certain roadways in the event of flash-floods. Say, something like a flashing alternating amber/red+green; something distinctive that does not require any additional signage.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
20 minutes worth here in Richmond BC nothing since July 6th but did enjoy the lightning show in Vegas and we had a 50,000 lightning strike in the upper valley saw thatNew Jersy has had some serious rain watched a dealer ship cars float down the river

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
There’s a project underway down on the spit. A massive underground cistern, I’m *assuming* to be the collector for storm water. Or perhaps it’s to keep Ashbridges WWTP from becoming flooded and discharging raw sewage into the lake.

·
Premium Member
4,242 Posts
A
There’s a project underway down on the spit. A massive underground cistern, I’m *assuming* to be the collector for storm water. Or perhaps it’s to keep Ashbridges WWTP from becoming flooded and discharging raw sewage into the lake.
nd I was gonna make me a hamburger. Pass.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts