The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I need some simple work or a setup done on one of my guitars I always dread taking it in. It sits there any where from 2 to 4 weeks waiting for its turn in the cue, depending on who I take it to.
Just wondering why guitar repair shops don't run a system where they give you a call to bring your guitar in when your name comes up in a cue.

·
Premium Member
17,349 Posts
Mine take 3 days. Learning to do it yourself definitely sounds like your best bet.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just do your own. Lots of good books out their. Probably by more informed people than the one doing your guitar.
I'm just not that handy a guy. I'm really particular which would make a candidate as I know what I want better than others.
I have one guitar here that was setup before I bought the guitar. It plays amazing and I think its the best setup guitar that I've ever played. The way the frets were done, the action, etc. I got the contact info off the guy I bought the guitar from. Of course when I read the reviews on him he gets glowing reports and theres not a bad word about him other than he takes forever to get to it. I would love for my second electric to be set up the exact same way by the same guy. But I don't want to wait forever.
When it comes to adjusting string height or relief, I'm fine. But when it comes to messing with the frets such as filing down, crowning, etc. Well one mistake can be costly and I'd end up bringing it to someone anyway.
I don't mind waiting a long time for the right guitar guy but I wish they'd just give me a call when my turn comes up and I'd bring the guitar right away. Leaving it a couple days is all that would be needed depending on what the job was.

L

·
0 Posts
I don't mind waiting a long time for the right guitar guy but I wish they'd just give me a call when my turn comes up and I'd bring the guitar right away.
Leaving it a couple days is all that would be needed depending on what the job was.
Maybe suggest that to them the next time you go in?
Explaining that with customer service like that, the word would spread and increase their business?

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
If you have the time I'd learn how to do it myself. Only reason I pay someone is lack of spare time.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
I don't advertise but I get the odd cold call from folks, word of mouth stuff.

As a teenager I had to figure out how to fix and set-up guitars or I'd never have anything playable. Nowadays I do set-ups for my students fairly regularly, often form a lesson around it.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
You should try taking a rifle to a gunsmith. The fastest guy around is a 6 week turn a round on something pure labour (no parts to order). Most are 6 months-ish.

One of my friends got a call from a notoriously slow Smith asking him to come pick up his rifle, it was finished. He had forgotten about it, he had dropped it off in the late 90's and it was just finished now (this was about 2010.)

I've always wondered this with gunsmiths, but the same goes for guitar or amp techs.

Why can't it be like a mechanic? You book your time, you drop it off and pick it up a few hours later.

This type of business model has a bit more risk, since you are the mercy of flaky musicians who might not show up. However you would think there would be enough longer term projects to cover for those instances.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This type of business model has a bit more risk, since you are the mercy of flaky musicians who might not show up. However you would think there would be enough longer term projects to cover for those instances.
Well some of these techs that have weeks of work lined up would have no problem moving on to the next in line if a flaky musician doesn't show. I think it would be reasonable to call someone in when there is only a couple ahead of you. That way if someone drops out you've still got time to move on to the next guy. It would probably just take some time management and organization, which most likely, most guitar techs don't specialize in.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Whenever I need some simple work or a setup done on one of my guitars I always dread taking it in
I would never take my gear to a shop where I felt dread.
I see you're in Brantford,but Fred Gabrsek whose company is Freddys Frets is in Niagara on the Lake and is my go to tech.
Fred does beyond excellent work,is very fairly priced with a quick turnaround and is a super guy.
Life is too short to dread taking your beloved guitar to a tech.
Check out his website.
He does awesome custom builds also.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
I do the odd set up on guitars and it takes a day to do it, then I let it sit overnight and check it all again. It isn't that hard even if you have to touch up a fret or two. The specs are all on line for the most part. Check out Dave's World of Fun Stuff on You Tube. I don't do everything exactly the way he does, but his methods are pretty sound. Oh, and a Peterson Strobo Tuner is nice, but you can get away with anything accurate to 1 cent or less. You're ears won't be able to tell. There's no such thing as perfect intonation across a fret board anyway.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Learn how to do them yourself... lots of books out there and plenty of videos on youtube. With the amount of guitars ands basses that I went thru , learning to set them up was a priority. Almost every guitar I bought was in dire need of a set up. ( I only buy used by the way...)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Shyboy and Tex can do same day.
Really?! I'll have to try that. I'm a regular customer. I would imagine you'd have to call ahead to arrange it.

I wish someone would do a one day seminar (or longer) on set ups. I've read all kinds of things about it, but I'd like to see/do it in person. I'm scared to touch a truss rod.

@guitarman2 if you're up to a trip to The Guitar Shop in Mississauga, they've done set ups for me in less than a week.

·
Premium Member
17,349 Posts
Really?! I'll have to try that. I'm a regular customer. I would imagine you'd have to call ahead to arrange it.

I wish someone would do a one day seminar (or longer) on set ups. I've read all kinds of things about it, but I'd like to see/do it in person. I'm scared to touch a truss rod.

@guitarman2 if you're up to a trip to The Guitar Shop in Mississauga, they've done set ups for me in less than a week.
Truss rods are super easy, just make small turns.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm hesitant to take my guitar to a music store to be worked on by "who knows". Maybe I'll give Mike Spicer a call but I expect the wait to be long. Although I've been lucky with him before and its only been a week. As well he's located close to me.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

I understand why would you want that somebody guide you in person instead of youtube - instant corrections and prevention of mistakes.

I can get some really cheap guitar and try it first on it.
Or we can meet for one afternoon and I can show you and then let you do it on one of my guitars. Just I am really busy at work now, but hopefully will clear in a week. Let me know.

P

·
0 Posts
If doing fret leveling, crowning and dressing one should also invest in some tools. Rulers and straight edges, fret files, crowning files. nut files to name a few. Easily $500 but then you are set for life.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts